The Watch Site banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Craftsman
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spend the majority of my spare time restoring and servicing mechanical Seikos from the 60s, 70s, and early 80s. Every now and again I have the opportunity to work on a Swiss timepiece or two. Today is a first for me. A rebuild and service of a mechanical quartz timepiece in this 85 Seiko 7548-700F courtesy of SCWF member JayJam (Jeff). I only own one Seiko quartz and that is the Arnie Re-Issue. I have been wanting to try my hand at one of the early Seiko quartz movements and finally got the opportunity.

Watch came to me In parts with the original 7548A movement damaged by battery acid. Jeff supplied a donor movement, but it had a missing battery strap and broken 4th wheel pinion. I salvaged these parts from the damaged movement. Good to go.

H/M hands were donated with significant lume rot. Re-lumed to match. Dial looked to be NOS for this project. Everything cleaned up great and went together without incident. Modern and robust but surprisingly simple.

Cool little quartz dive watch Seiko has here. Thanks for looking.
Case and Crown Rebuild:

H/M Hand Re-Lume - Noctilumina WG23F Low Glow White - A Nice Match

Cal 7548A Movement Service

Final Assembly

Completed Overhaul - Beautiful

·
Craftsman
4,267 Posts
Great work as usual John!

·
Special Member
3,963 Posts
Great work John and thanks for helping me with mine at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vette Enthusiast

·
Craftsman
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As always John, Great post...I have to ask are the final hands the same as the originals ? How did you rid the pitting ? Thanks
After removing the old lume by soaking the hands in Goof Off for about 5 minutes, I gently scraped the hands using some brass tweezers and most of the surface rust and corrosion came off. A light polish using a silver cloth and clean with some lighter fluid before re-lume. Not perfect but vastly improved.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks so much for the amazing work on this watch! I know it was probably not the easiest 7548 for your first go around, but cosmetically it turned out awesome, and I am confident it will be just as good operationally. A first for you to work on, but also my first Quartz Seiko Diver in the collection as well (also first original pepsi-bezeled diver as well), one which I plan to keep for the duration! ... so firsts all around here.

Good call on reluming the hands, I had forgotten those hands were in such a wabi state. I will need to swap the crystal once I get it back, as the scratches will drive me crazy, .... next time I will not be lazy and measure the spare crystal with a calipers before sending it.

Glad you were able to sort it all out in the end, and I am once again, so very appreciative that you lent your skills to another of my projects! Now I need to find a bezel for the 7018, which will probably be the hardest task of all on this most recent batch of restorations...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts