The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this advice has been posted before, but please be aware of the risks of using cheap crystal presses with the nylon dies.
I managed to properly kill a previously quite nice 6139 chrono yesterday when a die let go whilst trying to reseat a wonky bezel. :undecided:

I'll let the pictures do the talking...
Before...

Now just let me reseat that bezel....

After a quick hoover...

The offending article..

The annoying thing is, I do have a genuine Seiko press and dies, but this one was nearer. I just hope others will heed this advice, and not make the same mistake I made.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Bloody Ouch!!!!

I've never seen that before, I use an A&F swiss press with nylon dies but always have a small flat die installed that I use to press the correct dies so a bit fiddly but always worked out OK for me.

That's a real shame about the 6139, a very nice proof model

seikola

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
This is why its always advisable to fit a crystal with the movement removed.

Nice watch and still repairable.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I feel your pain. I have had two of those presses, the first had white plastic dies like the one that failed. I bought another because I noticed them cracking. The second one has cream coloured dies that imo are made from a more robust plastic and so far no cracks have appeared. There is a noticeable difference in the hardness of the plastic.

Merritt has a top tip though; always remove the movement the slight bit of extra work is well worth it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Ouch indeed ! :eek:hmy: I've also had one of these cupped nylon dies let go on me before, but thankfully there was no movement inside the case. In all fairness though, it had shown warning signs of stress cracks radiating from the mounting hole for some time, so it wasn't entirely a surprise.

·
Special Member
7,362 Posts
I found the cheapie presses can have the problem where the center threaded post sticks out beyond the thickness of the cheap plastic die, resulting in a mark or worse yet crack of the crystal exactly in the middle.

I fixed it by filing down the threaded post.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Ouch. That's terrible. The funny (not really) thing is that I've found the bezel on the 601x models will often press on with firm finger pressure so a press may not be entirely necessary. I second the suggestion of doing such work after removing the movement. I love that black dial and I hope it can be restored to good health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Craftsman
518 Posts
Crumbs!! Sorry to see that happen.

I have a cheap press:

that I've been really happy with, and not needed to upgrade.

Its also designed to take screw on dies, the ones that came with it (about 8 iirc) have the thread straight into the nylon (so no metal bush).

After I'd used it for the first time I couldn't unscrew the nylon die (its the 14mm one at the top). So, I just left it in place.

I mention this only because what it has done is widen the point through which the force is applied and I think I have unwittingly made it safer to use.

With this type of press its possible to generate a LOT of downward pressure.

·
Craftsman
3,897 Posts
That's a terrible shame. I only use a Seiko press + dies which I picked up from Sweadfreak years ago. I always thought about picking up one of those cheaper models but after seeing this I think I'll pass and stick with one that's held up for years with more then one owner.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
i am so very sorry...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Crumbs!! Sorry to see that happen.

I have a cheap press:

that I've been really happy with, and not needed to upgrade.

Its also designed to take screw on dies, the ones that came with it (about 8 iirc) have the thread straight into the nylon (so no metal bush).

After I'd used it for the first time I couldn't unscrew the nylon die (its the 14mm one at the top). So, I just left it in place.

I mention this only because what it has done is widen the point through which the force is applied and I think I have unwittingly made it safer to use.

With this type of press its possible to generate a LOT of downward pressure.
Snap!, No pun intended

seikola

1 - 14 of 14 Posts