The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried a few different types of crystals for the 6309/7548 dive watches including, standard, Seikosis and speedys reproductions, tryabidforit's flat topped and inner domed plain mineral glass and Speedys classic BubbleBoy.

I quite liked the tryabidforit ones for a while and then switched to the BubbleBoy keeping the standard pattern ones for my original unmodified 6309's.

Then recently JB told me he was working on a small range of his own crystals including a sapphire domed one with blue anti reflective coating. when I saw his pitch in the SCTF I was a little sceptical about the aesthetic benefits of the blue coating and dome. Having rejected the BubbleBoy because of excessive reflections and distortion (only for the odd custom watch). Nevertheless as JB was so enthused by his creation I decided to try one.

The crystal has a nice shallow outer dome much like the pukka Tuna Can, but a slightly more pronounced bevel that reflects the indices nicely. When I removed it from the packaging and held it up to my work light in the horological suite last night the blue coating was not very apparent but today, installed and in daylight it is noticeable.

I chose to fit the new crystal to my long suffering TST which has a 7548 movement fitted with a dark blue dial, the blue A/R coating really enhances the overall blue hue a treat, I can't stop gazing at it, at some angles its awesome. One observation I would make though is how the blue tint would combine with a dial that is other than blue or black. Orange or yellow might be given a clashing blue cast?

I have used the expression 'icing on the cake' many times but this time I feel it is most apt.

Trust me the photographs do not do the crystal justice. Nice one John, it's a bargain:93:

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
that is gorgeous..that shroud looks different too...great looking watch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts