The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum members. I wanted to take this opportunity to talk a bit about the quality of interactions and camaraderie that we may take for granted that are exemplified by the members of this forum. I've posted previously on how every watch tells a story. Maybe it relates something about the owner and how he/she lived life with the watch. Maybe it's a set of memories that come from a watch that is passed down from father to child. Maybe the watch was a grail achieved after much saving or represents a milestone in life or career. Maybe it's the love of the art and science of the design...

For me, like my signature states, I enjoy a wide variety of watch designs and manufactures. But vintage Seiko chronographs have been a passion of mine since I first started learning more about watches and space and the role that they played in the lives of test pilots, astronauts, and the building of the USA over the last 150 years (e.g. Hamilton Watch Co.). The story behind the 6139 and what Col. Pogue did with it aboard Skylab is fascinating to me. Then I found Spencer Klein and Adrian Selleck videos, write-ups on the web, and the sea of possibilities on auction sites. I asked questions on this forum, bugged lots of other people, and learned the difference between good and not-so-good examples of Seikos. I made a few bad buys, but a lot more good ones.

So, moving forward to now, if you saw the post by John (Vette Enthusiast) about the two recent restorations that he did on my JDM 6139 and champagne Kakume, you are seeing the culmination of this community. This forum represents an important ecosystem in watch collecting, servicing and advancement. Let's start with a picture:

These are the two watches in the Watchmaking and Tinkering section that John posted a few days ago. The blue one I was able to get as a BIN right when it came out. I have a separate thread on that (I did it whilst on the loo). But the story really begins when I post about it. Jon (Grammar of Design) reads my post and offers me (at a very fair price) an original Seiko bracelet to complement this watch after it is restored. When I send it to John he finds a bad chronograph wheel. But he is getting parts and crystals from Tom (SeikoPsycho2) and Tom sells me a NOS chrono wheel also at a very fair price and ships it directly to John. What I didn't know is that Tom also donated one of his first new crystals to me at no charge (and Tom also has two gold dial 6139s of mine in his queue). So the watch you see above has his new crystal! After John tosses in a few generous acts the watch gets to me today and here are more pictures. It is (humbly) spectacular.

The Kakume represents another ecosystem. John, me and Brian (byscott) have our own self-enabling group searching far and wide for restorable Speedtimers. This is a lot of fun despite lightening the wallet, but we are able to harness each other's opinions on the goodness of a watch for sale and in general discuss the details of our addiction to Seiko chronographs. Brian knew that I was looking for a Kakume, a silver dial especially, after my first purchase of one ended up with non-repairable dial water damage that was found by Simon (sir alan) when I sent it to him in the UK for restoration (pay attention, we will get back to Simon shortly). Brian sent me the link for the Kakume that you see now which I won at auction and sent to John. John has also just got a Kakume from Brian that needs a few parts that Brian doesn't have, but I'm trading him the ones he needs from my dead Kakume so that John can start the restoration. In turn, Brian is working out a deal with me for his NOS 6139-601x Speedtimer bracelet that will perfectly match my cherry PROOF 6139-6010 that I will eventually get restored. Going back to Tom, I just found out that he helped Larry (Uncle Seiko) with the development of his Kakume bracelet including loannig him an original one and inspecting the prototypes. Independently of that I loaned Larry my dead Kakume (which has a good case) so that he could test fit his prototypes to an original case. I did this through Sam Speake (Casual Watch Review channel on YouTube (
)) who did this episode on Larry's new bracelet with my bad Kakume as a mule. For loaning my old Kakume to him, Larry gave his first production bracelet to Sam for me which is the one that you see on this watch! The watch is another bit of fantastic work by John.

So, again I want to celebrate the relationships on this forum and the way that we interact with each other to accomplish wonderful things. Without this forum and its virtuous cycles I don't know how I would be able to do my small part in bringing these mechanical marvels back to life. Thank you everyone.

And one final picture that should help to sum up all of this. I now have a complete set (in my mind) of blue 6139-60xx watches after three to four years of hunting:

I mentioned that you would see Simon again. The four watches that you see were all restored by different artisans. My new JDM April 1969 6139-6000 was restored by John (who I met on this forum), The April 1970 PROOF 6139-6000 was heroically restored by Simon (also met on this forum and I have a separate post on just how bad this watch was), the May 1970 RESIST 6139-6009 was restored by Adrian, and the late February 1978 no-text 6139-6005 was restored by Spencer.

Again - thank you everyone, thank you.

·
Special Member
1,335 Posts
Really a great story and some great restoration work on those four... always nice to read about how people can work together to accomplish much.... perhaps that's the Hallmark of this forum.. people helping people!

Best, as always,

Mike

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Great write up, Tod - fantastic background behind your excellent set of Chronographs, and even better group of individuals enabling you and restoring these pieces.
-Todd

·
Administrator
29,125 Posts
A nice write up Todd and really says what watch and in this case Seiko collecting is all about, patiance, time, effort, knowledge and restorers and when all these elements are put together we have an enjoyable interesting hobby and as a bonus make good friends along the way not to mention we end up with a collection of "gems" of our own.

·
Registered
69 Posts
A wonderful story. I picked up a March 1973 blue dialled 6139 6005 from Seikologist here on this forum. After a service from Simon (Sir Alan), who did a spectacular job, it (almost) has not left my wrist. I am waiting for Uncle Seiko UK to stock up on the correct tapered H link, so for now it is on a nato strap. I would love to have all 4, but I know that I have to be patient. I am only at the start of my collecting journey. A beautiful line up of the different blue dialled Ceverts in the picture above, and one day I hope to have all 4, just like you.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I am both humbled and honored to be among such honored restorers of the timepieces you have displayed here. Tod, thanks for your trust in me and the opportunity to work on part of your collection. Your story is a compelling one and one of the main reasons I enjoy this forum and the SCWF community as much as I do. A true group of enablers in this hobby.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Two Beautiful watches Tod! John did a great job on their restorations. The pewter dial Kakumes with the yellow minute tracks are somewhat rarer then the Kakumes with the orange minute tracks.
I think it's great when we can come together from all around the world, many with different backgrounds, and share our passion for watches. We all get by with a little help from our friends........

·
Premium Member
9,086 Posts
very nice write-up and thanks for highlighting what a lot of us know - as important as the forums, is the camaraderie and friendships that are formed outside the public view. This is truly a special place with an abundance of special people. It's a community that works very well in a lot of different ways.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts