The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start of this post with thank-you's in gratitude to the countless contributions made by a very special group of people, who truly played the role of enablers in getting this project to where it is today!

Every one of the following individuals made a contribution towards what you will see in the subsequent pictures. Guys, you are the greatest and have earned my eternal gratitude and respect, Thank You: Russell Iadanza, Chris Galbraith, Jose Francisco, Clayton (sorry Clayton, never got your surname), Jonathan Koch, Pete Kuhn, Jake B and last but not least - my excellent watchmaker Manfred Orgeig.

Some "before" pics, as the watch was discovered: with a 6105-8110 bezel, the wrong stem and a bit worse for wear:

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A BIG DAY FOR ME!!! (Continued)

Having bought the watch, and subsequently discovering that it had the wrong bezel, got me concerned about what else on this watch had been replaced with non-original parts!

So off to Herr Orgeig, to open her up and verify authenticity of the movement. What we discovered brought some relief - as lo-and-behold, inside we found a really clean, genuine, honest-to-goodness, 35 Jewel, slow-beat (18 000bph), 6215 movement in good condition! Running, and very accurate too! This baby is a hacking movement, looks to have its own unique serial number and has a regulating system that I have not seen on another Seiko before.

So now the search begins for parts, and with the help of the aforementioned group of friends, the following parts were accumulated over a period of three months: A NOS crystal (USA), a NOS bezel rotating ring, retaining clip and insert (Brazil), seals (USA), NOS hands & split-stem (Australia), NOS crown (South Africa), strap (Hong Kong).

I had hopes of getting a dial in better condition than this one, but was outbid by a fellow forumer - however, it means that another one of these beauties will be restored & preserved for future generations, and that makes me happy! This dial eventually sold for what I think might be some type of record price for a Seiko dial -and worth every penny IMHO!

Some pictures posted below. To be continued....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I'm on pins and needles watching this process. good luck finding all the parts and getting this old boy restored to new condition.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A BIG DAY FOR ME!!! (Conclusion)

The excruciating wait is over! Fetched her today!

Allow me to present my 43 year-old 6215-7000.

I'll let the pictures do the talking from here on....

Regards
Alvin

Attachments

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Wow.

If ever a watch stood aloof from the masses, its the 6215-7000. From its subdued, iconic styling to its historic significance, this is really what a "grail" is all about.

Congratulations. Really.

·
Administrator
33,859 Posts
Got to say Alvin that is breath taking, you with the help of the guys have made a real BEAUTY there, sincere congratulations. :)

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Beautiful watch. Congratulations on a labor of love..

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Alvin She is looking just Spectacular. She has a Character all her Own, The biggest concern from day one, was the Movement? is it going to be ORG?? I had faith it was, but?? Once that was realized
the rest of the Quest, and the Results, IMO were more about You then the watch. point I like to think, Gems such as the 6215-7000 find there way to thoes that will make all the Sacrifices $$ wise and Effort wise

to bring them to this kind of finished state. She is so much with your Personality now added to the second to none Rarity and Beauty, just a Joy to see.

Funny to think, a Wis getting his Foundation with 6215-7000. So Africa a Place of enchantment and Diamonds, so why not be this Diamond be found in such a PLace

Thanks for the feeling, of sharing in your adventure, it seemed to set the stage, for John W.s 6159-7001 to find her way to me. I have all this Journey saved, from the first pics you sent LOL
Happy Mothers day to your Family

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the kind words guys!

Especially Gabe for drawing my three posts into one coherent message, and Russell for his enthusiasm and support (just look at his reply and you will know what I mean!).

Russell, who has been/is a great mentor and inspiration, once told me: "you can only do what the watch allows you to do...." or words to that effect, but they are so true. It has become one of my WIS principles - to try and bring out the best that the watch allows you to.

Also, to all fellow members for keeping the fire stoked with the constant passion, focus and aspirational examples. We are extremely priveleged and fortunate to share such an amazing passion, in such a fantastic community!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
She's a real beauty, Alvin and well worth the effort you put in. As always, I'm glad to have played a small part in the preservation of this great timepiece.

·
Registered
370 Posts
A wonderful restoration, Alvin. Your patience and investment has been repaid handsomely. A vintage Seiko diver collector's dream photo would be one of your watch, and Russell's 6159, side by side. Two grails together! Even if done by photoshop or other manipulation. Any chance???
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hee hee, guys, you better believe it - Alvin was like a big kid on Saturday morning when he turned up at our usual breakfast haunt to show off the finished product! But that watch, well, it looks fantastic, perfect. Alvin - enjoy - it could well be the only 6215-7000 in Africa - certainly in this condition and with so many parts sourced from so many countries.
Meantime, I'm waiting for a very dodgy looking 6138 that I won in a local auction here for $40 or so. Could be a complete dog, but then again.....

Cheers from Cape Town

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I love happy endings. 8)
So nice to see such beautiful rare pieces brought back to their original states.
Alvin, you dedication and perseverance was well worth it all.
Enjoy that gem, you deserve it.

Cheers,
Dave.

·
Registered
589 Posts
In my opinion the king grail of seiko divers..A truely wonder watch and great story to match..well done Alvin the work and $$ paid off, the 6215 looks great. Clayton

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Alvin,

I feel SO HAPPY for you, mate!

I knew how important to you was the rebirth of this bad boy of a diver.... 8)

And I knew my mate zE would be very happy to see a few of his pristine parts installed on one of the most legendary diver's watch in mankind history.

You deserve the joy of enjoying this holy grail of yours, man.
Please, cherish this watch with all yor mighty for the rest of your life. I'm sure it will bring lotsa satisfaction and happiness to you. It will be particularly special in those times when sadeness from the vicissitudes of life insists on striking upon us.....then you'll realize how refreshing looking down to your wrist will be, and see this great piece looking spanking new will immediatelly bring a full smile to your face and renew your strenghts to face the challenges and spook away the bad feelings.

Enjoy this awesome piece of Seiko history, my friend!
Congratulations for bring it back to its deserving life.

CHRIS

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.