The Watch Site banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bonjour from Paris,

I'm interesting by the difference between the 9S85 and 9S85 (special - or Super accurate) caliber.

Built by special peole, special parts ?

Very few information. Do you have any details ?

Thanks
hieraklion

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
There is a subgroup of watchmakers which assemble the Special-designated watches. I can't find the interview right now, but I read an interview with a watchmaker who was working to try to achieve this status.

As for parts - in Seiko watchmaking videos I've seen, for each part there is a tray to choose from, and I'd guess the Special-designated watchmakers may be slightly more selective among them.

For quartz-regulated watches (like Spring Drive), Seiko has said that Special-designated watches get the very best crystals that Seiko grows. I guess even in homegrown quartz, variability remains.

Some special-designated watches receive distinguishing features (other than a 'Special' dial) - like a distinct rotor with the GS Lion - calling back to the early Grand Seiko chronometers (3180/43999/62GS).

It's not the case where they series-produce movements, and the ones which test the highest get the Special badge. The Special watches are made by special watchmakers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts