The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All-
My Alpinist has gone to sleep and I would appreciate recommendations for someone in the US to replace the battery and pressure test it, as I spend lots of time on the water. What should this job cost?
Thank You for your sage advice!
Glenn

·
Special Member
1,902 Posts
If you're fairly handy and a little patient, you can replace the battery yourself. I did it a while ago on an 8F56 (which is what's in your Alpinist). If the battery still has a little juice in it, you can replace the old battery with the new one within three minutes and the perpetual calendar won't reset. If it's completely dead, you'll have to reset the perpetual calendar. It's a little bit of a drawn out process - and now that the PMWF.com site is down (along with all their fantastic Seiko manuals), it'd take a little digging to find the procedure. A quick search of youtube came up with a how-to for the 8F32 (I'd encourage you to investigate further). If you can handle that on your own, then really most watch shops should be able to pressure test the watch for not too much. Just put some silicon grease on the gaskets before you tighten the screw-back and it should be okay.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Hello All-
My Alpinist has gone to sleep and I would appreciate recommendations for someone in the US to replace the battery and pressure test it, as I spend lots of time on the water. What should this job cost?
Thank You for your sage advice!
Glenn

·
Special Member
1,818 Posts
OK, here are some of my 8F models.

An 8F56-0080 Ti diver, I also have the stainless version of this that needs a new crystal.

An 8F56-00L0 Map Meter.

An 8F56-00C0 Sportura.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts