The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am awaiting the arrival of a new movement for a 7T62-0AM0 Chronograph, and have a few questions regarding installation.
Fitting the hands to the new movement before a battery has been fitted do you just fit all hands aligned to the 12 o'clock position?
Read the instructions regarding zeroing the hands after fitting a new battery, but I figure that will only work if the hands are correctly aligned to start with.
Next with this model do you have to short to "AC" to start it? Can find no mention of it in the data sheet, nor can I see a "AC" terminal to do so, yet it is mentioned in the sheet for earlier models.
Any other traps I should be aware of?

Any advice from those with experience of this model would be greatly appreciated.

Max

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
From the tech sheet:
HANDS:
How to install
1) Pull out the crown with winding stem to the second click. Then, turn the crown clockwise to turn the
time hands also clockwise.
2) Stop turning the hands when the date changes to the next.
3) Install the small second, hour and minute hands so that they point exactly to the 12 o’clock position.
4) Install the stopwatch hands so that they point exactly to the “0” position of the stopwatch scale.
* After installing the hands, be sure to check that they move smoothly without interfering with one
another.

You will also need to follow the "Necessary Procedure After Battery Change"

When setting subdial hands and chrono runner hand, it is very easy to get a bit of friction with the post then think you have the hand aligned only to find that you have advanced the train slightly...so be sure that as you are aligning the hand that it is only resting on the post...not moving it...otherwise the hands won't align with the graduations marked on the dial.

Good luck. BG

·
Special Member
1,290 Posts
Mine says hi.

Bracelet restored. Just have to re-enamel the bezel numbers.

To reset stopwatch hands, page 4,5,6,7,8 of manual explains process.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BenchGuy,

That is the bit that confuses me, "turn the hands clockwise till the date changes".

The movement has no hands on at this stage, so unless the date changes at exactly 12 position you have know idea where to set the time hands.

That is why I was asking if the new movement would be set so the hands could be installed correctly before the movement was run. as the alarm hands set to the time of the time hands I assume that they and the time hands would have to be zeroed to the same time mark in the first instance.

Sorry for being a bit dull on this matter but I thought better to ask than make a stuff-up of the whole job.

Thanks for your help.

Max

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rob3rto,

Mine will say "Hi" as soon as it gets its voice back, a little ill at the moment, they are a beautiful watch, about the most elegant I have seen, mine looks in about mint condition, except it don't go, hoping to remedy that soon.

Max

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
BenchGuy,

That is the bit that confuses me, "turn the hands clockwise till the date changes".

The movement has no hands on at this stage, so unless the date changes at exactly 12 position you have know idea where to set the time hands.

Max
Yes the date changes at 12 midnight exactly.
With the crown in position 2 rotate it clockwise until the date clicks over, then install all the hands at 12 o'clock.

·
Special Member
1,290 Posts
rob3rto,

Mine will say "Hi" as soon as it gets its voice back, a little ill at the moment, they are a beautiful watch, about the most elegant I have seen, mine looks in about mint condition, except it don't go, hoping to remedy that soon.

Max
Hope it all goes well.
Quite pleased with mine so far. Not as nice as yours, yet, but I can't complain at £20.

·
Registered
845 Posts
To OP: You can loosely mount the hour hand, then follow the procedure until the date changes at midnight. Then remove and remount the hour hand so that it points exactly to 12. Then mount the minute hand @ 12 as well. The hour/minute/date wheels are mechanically linked so that the date changes with the hour wheel and cannon pinion is the same position (hence 12 o'clock) with each date change. Regards, BG

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ivorbiggin,

Thanks for explaining that for me, now it all becomes clear! The old brain doesn't sort things out so quick these days :)

Max

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BenchGuy,

That sounds like a good move, sure to get it at the right setting that way.

Thanks for your help.

Max

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
From the tech sheet:
HANDS:
How to install
1) Pull out the crown with winding stem to the second click. Then, turn the crown clockwise to turn the
time hands also clockwise.
2) Stop turning the hands when the date changes to the next.
3) Install the small second, hour and minute hands so that they point exactly to the 12 o’clock position.
4) Install the stopwatch hands so that they point exactly to the “0” position of the stopwatch scale.
* After installing the hands, be sure to check that they move smoothly without interfering with one
another.

You will also need to follow the "Necessary Procedure After Battery Change"

When setting subdial hands and chrono runner hand, it is very easy to get a bit of friction with the post then think you have the hand aligned only to find that you have advanced the train slightly...so be sure that as you are aligning the hand that it is only resting on the post...not moving it...otherwise the hands won't align with the graduations marked on the dial.

Good luck. BG
Bench Guy is spot on right here. This method for the less experienced is the correct way to install the hands on any watch that has either a date or a day/date display. What you are basically doing timing the date change so it will begin the change cycle right at 12. You could just stick all the hands on at 12 up and the watch would work and tell the correct time but you would have day/date changes at any possible time. I see no reason to install any hands. What you are doing is moving the stem forward on the second stem click slowly while watching the day/date window. The second you see movement by either the date or day. ( with Seiko it is the date that typically rolls over first) stop. If the date has moved a tiny bit forward just roll the stem back a bit. Then install the main hands at 12. This will ensure you date changes start right at midnight.
Again like I stated this goes for any watch.

Michael

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
What you are doing is moving the stem forward on the second stem click slowly while watching the day/date window. The second you see movement by either the date or day. ( with Seiko it is the date that typically rolls over first) stop. If the date has moved a tiny bit forward just roll the stem back a bit. Then install the main hands at 12. This will ensure you date changes start right at midnight.

Michael
According to the tech sheet, the hands should be installed at 12:00 immediately after the date change has completed, not at the start of the date change.

Or am i reading it wrong?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
According to the tech sheet, the hands should be installed at 12:00 immediately after the date change has completed, not at the start of the date change.

Or am i reading it wrong?
It is possible Seiko set the 7T62 to start the change over at 11 PM. It takes two complete cycles when you have a date and day wheel. If you roll it forward the date change will start at 11 PM and by 11:30 should finish then at 12 PM the day wheel will begin its change over process that should be complete by 12:30.
I have always reinstalled my hands to start the day change at 12 but that might not be the way Seiko set up the 7T62.
So by what the manual says roll it for ward until just the date changes but not the day. The install the hands at 12.
If you do it this way your change over window will begin at 11 PM and the whole cycle of both should be complete by 12:30.
It is a personal preference for me to have it start at 12 but if the manual says to have it start at 11 PM then I might start doing them that way. If you every go to sell the watch someone who is very picky might not like it if the change over is not set the way it came out of the factory. Either way the change over will happen and the watch will work. I actually never even noticed the 11 PM start on any of my unmolested 7T62 watches. When I work on them I have set them at to start at 12.

OK I just grabbed one of my 7T62 watches I bought new and yes you are 100% correct. Roll it forward slowly until the date change is 100% complete then put the hands on at the 12 position. That is the way the factory sets them.
Michael

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update!

Heart transplant surgery successfully carried out, patient is now fully recovered and back at work normally.
Thanks to all for their help & advice.

Max

·
Registered
535 Posts
Has anyone had any problems with the alarm sounding. Springs intact and all other functions are working. Except the sound. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cam

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Make sure the contacts did not get bent inward towards the movement while the watch was being worked on. It happens a lot. The buzzer tab must make good contact with the special patch that is glued into the inside center of the rear cover. Also make sure it did not pull away from making a good contact on the movement. I have done it by accident a couple of time when changing hands and you need to press down to install the hands. The movement is suppose to be supported up high enough so the buzzer does not touch the surface you are working on. If not the get flattened and do not make contact with the inside of the rear case.

Michael

1 - 16 of 16 Posts