The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7t34 flightmaster chronograph that I picked up from eBay a long while back it wasn't working so I put in a new battery but the only thing that worked was the chrono so I put it away for a while. I found a reset tutorial somewhere but that didn't seem to work so put it away again, last night I gave it a try again with a new battery now everything works as it should except the chrono wont work. Does anyone have any idea on what I can try to get this watch fully functional?

·
Special Member
2,018 Posts
Contacts probably need a clean. Case back off and wipe all battery contacts clean and pusher contacts. Worse case is top plate off and circuit board off and contacts with coils need a clean.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Mine Also

Working great till last week. Changed 3 batteries, cleaned, runs for 1 hr. , then 2 1/ hrs. then 48 hrs., then 2 days.
But never lost time , then 3 months ago losing time about 30 minutes then 1/2 hour, then ran good for over night now
stop and goes multiple times. But it needs a slight amount of pusher pressing then it goes again.
Looks like it is a goner but will keep it for future use I guess.
Shame thought it is in almost .... Top Shape. (Took the Bracelet off though.)
Like to find a new movement or it will just sit in the box.:57:
Might be good for a trade on a .... Aqualand Parts Watch or so.
Let me know if any laying around. :72::93:

Attachments

·
Special Member
2,018 Posts
Not wishing to pour water on a possible lead, but it does say very clearly DISCONTINUED for the 7T34.

These movements do come up on ebay as NOS now and again.
Correct my oversight in my amazement to see it up there on top!
Anyway another source of movements maybe, and I went there to have a look because of the gaskets.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Seiko ....... 7T34-6A09

Decided to chance it to strip it a little.
Took the Crown/stems out and now I have to figure out
what to do for the Hands. Never did these so have to find out what
to do about the hands ....... (Before or After ), to redo the settings on them.
Do I just remove them and later place them back on the
dial marks of each dial. To start each Dial from ... their designated
numbers and places.
1 Seconds on ....0 ?
2 Alarm on ...12:OO or 1:00 ?
3 Stop watch... 0 ?
4 Date .... 1'st ( Day 1 ) ?
Thank you very much for any reply's back, it would help a lot
and it is very much appreciated.
LongBike Louis

Attachments

·
Craftsman
721 Posts
Replacing the hands is straightforward.

I do the sub-dial hands first. Setting the alarm hands to 12pm (for alignment), the date to any of the in-between markers (so not the number, again for alignment), the constant seconds hand to 60 and the chrono minute counter to 30.

Then the hour and minute, making sure the date changeover occurs at 12. Then finally the chrono seconds hand.

Note that this hand and the chrono minute hand are adjustable if they don't align perfectly.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Replacing the hands is straightforward.

I do the sub-dial hands first. Setting the alarm hands to 12pm (for alignment), the date to any of the in-between markers (so not the number, again for alignment), the constant seconds hand to 60 and the chrono minute counter to 30.

Then the hour and minute, making sure the date changeover occurs at 12. Then finally the chrono seconds hand.

Note that this hand and the chrono minute hand are adjustable if they don't align perfectly.
Thank you very much Sir Alan. That was a good explanation to this and very advisable. I could
not figure it out since never doing one, but now I can try even with a parts old one.
I have a couple so they will be the ........ (Cadaver's) to work on. Tonight I will hold the ...... " Autopsy " and do the
" Forensics " , and see what is going on.
Thank you so very much for your time and advice on this particular watch.
Now I know just what to do and see.
Aloha Sir ...........LongBike Louis S. :039:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The coil seem to be a very failure prone part in the 7T32 and 7T34 models for some reason as well as some others. The winding is so delicate just handling them improperly can ruin them. Fortunately all you need is a multimeter to test them. No guess work involved. Just touch one lead to each side of the coil input and output. The meter with either show resistance in the range or most likely no ohm reading at all which means there is a break in the winding and its garbage. You can also use this method to test the circuit board for breaks as the repair manuals show the input and output locations on the circuit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
7t34

hi guys.
i just bought a new 7t34-6a00 and it has not been worn till now,
the problem is when i push the chronograph sometimes main second hand stops,
if i stop the chrono, small second hand will resume it's movement,
a repairman said because it was stored for 20 years it needs a service.
whats your opinion ?
thanks

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
hi guys.
i just bought a new 7t34-6a00 and it has not been worn till now,
the problem is when i push the chronograph sometimes main second hand stops,
if i stop the chrono, small second hand will resume it's movement,
a repairman said because it was stored for 20 years it needs a service.
whats your opinion ?
thanks
One real simple question is are you willing to spend between $150 to 200 dollars on the watch? Because that is a conservative estimate to disassemble a 7T34 to find the faulty part.
The small second hand stopping when the chronograph function is activated is a common failure for both the 7T32 and 7T34. If you have no personal attachment to the watch you can buy brand new 7T34 flightmaster with an gold aluminum case and black dial for $210 bucks. Some other colors are even cheaper.

Michael

·
Banned
4,527 Posts
I hate to type it but Seiko quartz chronos are not good watches. When I have a customer bring me one I'll do a simple series of tests and usually declare it junk.

I know they did work well and cost a lot of coin when new but when older imho they're not worth the effort:undecided:

I stupidly bought one last month from an overseas seller. It was supposed to be fully functioning. Really only the time worked:mad:
Thankfully I managed to re sell it and make a bit on it. I won't be getting another one.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I don't know what model you are referring to but the only draw back to repair the 7T32 7T34 or 7T62 is the amount of parts that have to be removed and carefully put back in the correct place. Diagnostics on them is very easy and straight forward. You only need a multimeter. They made so many of these models spare parts are easily found. If you don't want to work on Seiko's chronographs there are several group members here that would take the work in a minute including me.
Repairing them is not for you casual watch hobbyist but any competent train watch repair man should be able to easily repair any of the Seiko chronograph models I have mentioned.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Well i was told those models are very well made and very good models...and well worth taking the time to repair...they are quite complicated i am told..i know that here is many great craftsman available to help...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Well i was told those models are very well made and very good models...and well worth taking the time to repair...they are quite complicated i am told..i know that here is many great craftsman available to help...
I think what it comes down to is if you want to collect these 20 year old chronographs you need to learn how to fix them yourself or be willing to spend as much as you paid for the watch to repair it. Even with the great people we have here that can fix them without the overhead of a company they would still have to charge a decent amount of money due to the time consuming process if disassembling all of those small parts.
I always try to explain this to people who are not mechanically inclined. They believe that if you spend enough money on a mechanical item it should never break. If electricity runs through it or it has moving parts it is not a matter of if it is a matter of when it will fail.
I was in the new car parts business for 10 years. Some of the more expensive cars had a much worse service record that other cars that cost much less.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.