The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A strange one hear that has me baffled so I welcome any input.

I have a chrono that has been out of action for over a year. Despite numerous rebuilds of the 7T32 movement it has remained flaky so I bit the bullet and at reasonable expense bought a replacement new movement.

Fitting went as smoothly as expected. I set the time and within minutes it was 4 minutes slow. Within around 1 hour it was approximately 7minutes fast! It remained that way overnight.

One other thing the sub dial at 12 which records minutes elapsed actually runs backwards!!!

Has anybody got any ideas please?!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Looks like another rebuild is in order if sub dial running backwards. Your rebuild skills will be even better. Get some photos up when you do it for all to enjoy.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
If it's any help - the Y182 tech pdf is a little clearer in places than the 7T32.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry if I wasnt clear this one wasn't a rebuild it was a brand new out of the little plastic box movement. This is why I'm so puzzled!

I reset the time today and it seems to be running about ok although the sub dial is still running backwards which I can live with. I just hate mysteries!!

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
There are only three components in that sub-dial drive train, the rotor then intermediate gear and minute wheel. I'm guessing that it's either gummed up with lube or insufficient voltage??

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I'm pretty sure I did a reset but I'm going to try it with a new battery and a definite reset! I will report back later when I get home.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put a new battery in and did the reset and it's lost 20 minutes in less than an hour! Stumped.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did an IC reset and that sorted the sub dial issue. I have a suspicion that the minute hand wasn't fitted properly so refitted the hands. 45 minutes later it was out by 1 second but can't be sure that wasn't me pushing in the crown slightly late? Will check it tomorrow after 24 hours or so.

There was definitely some problem with the minute hand as it was out of sync with the hour hand so I'm guessing either I fitted it wrong or it's slightly loose.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Don't try to "tweak" the hour hand position without first removing it (which is never a good idea, anyway). If I recall, the minute wheel is plastic and actully located on the train side of the plate. Plastic teeth are very unforgiving of mis-applied torque.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help on this one. It's all sorted now and was basically down to me being crap! I took the hands off again and once refitted it has run perfectly.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Thanks for all the help on this one. It's all sorted now and was basically down to me being crap! I took the hands off again and once refitted it has run perfectly.
How difficult is it to refit the hands on this type of Chronograph? It looks really tricky to line up the small sec and minute sub dial hands. For that matter how did you take the sub dial hands off. With a Presto it must be difficult to not damage dial!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How difficult is it to refit the hands on this type of Chronograph? It looks really tricky to line up the small sec and minute sub dial hands. For that matter how did you take the sub dial hands off. With a Presto it must be difficult to not damage dial!
To be honest not as difficult as you would think. I have a pair of curved tweezers which I find really helps placing hands. I remove them with a pair of 1mm Horotec hand removing levers and then when positioned with the tweezers press into place with Bergeon 7404 hand fitting tool.

Centre hands removed with basic presto type tool and refit as above.

There is a procedure for lining up the minute sub hand even if you're a little bit off. I think if I remember you pull out the crown all the way and press button a or b repeatedly to align. One does the minute sub and the other does the sweeping chrono centre hand.

The tricky one is the seconds sub dial at 9 o' clock so I always make sure I have pulled the crown out to stop it running then hold my breath and place!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Check out the forum: 7A38 - by the numbers to get help and instruction on these
Seiko 7xxx models . Also I believe that there is a small regulating tab seen under the circuit block [circuit board ], that changes contact with the circuit block contacts for small adjustments.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have high resolution pictures of the 7T32 movement that I personally took from every angle to capture every detail and I use in conjunction with the factory service manual to service them. Sounds like you need to start from square one until you run into which part is out of whack. Something has to be really messed up for it to be that far off. The 7T32 is pretty accurate. Only beat by the 7A28 and 7A38 chronographs. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally sorted this one.

Took all the hands off anf reset them. Did an IC reset and it hasn't missed a beat since.

A happy ending!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts