The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

this is my first post to this forum and I hope to have choosen the right subforum... :)
...and I am not a native English speaker... ;)

I have a SEIKO SNK809 with a 7S26c movement. It is nearly a year old and I am little concerned whether it is still healthy, it does not experienced any hard handling, drops or any other mechanical mishandling, though. It is only at my whrist every day. :)

What I noticed: When I hold the watch vertically and move it horizontally it sounds like something is loose inside. I opened the back and - very carefully - touch different parts of the movement (only really solid metal parts) with a wooden toothpick to check, whether they move in an unusual way. Nothing. With one exception: The oscillating weight slightly is moveable not only in the direction of its rotation but also perpendicular to is surface.
It seems not to touch anything at first glance, though. Is that something to worry about or does the ball bearing have that little tolerance normally?
Is this "there is something loose"-sound when moving the clock a normal common thing with this movement/watch...or did I got a faulty watch?
How can I check for the OK-ness of the assembly of oscillating weight mechanism somehow without dissambly of the watch ?

Thank you very much for any help in advance!
Best regards,
mcc

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
It would be normal to have some movement.

If it's not rubbing anything and winding up ok, I would leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I know this may sound stupid, but did you check the tension on the screw holding the oscillating weight to make sure it was snugged up and had not loosened over time. This could account of the knocking sound you are hearing from time to time. Does not need to be super tight just snug it up with a small jewelers screw driver. If you have taken the back off, you can do this yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts