The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question of pure curiosity - not looking to start any battles over quality control or globalization or otherwise...

I have a SNK809 and it states clearly on the caseback and movement that it is made in Malaysia. On the other hand, I just purchased a SNXS77 and it says nothing about the country of manufacture on the movement or on the case back.

Are the differences impacted by actual differences in the country of manufacture, the markets they were meant for (different labeling laws, etc.) or something else? They're both gray market (Amazon & Jomashop), so I have no idea where they were actually marketed originally.

Thanks!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Just a question of pure curiosity - not looking to start any battles over quality control or globalization or otherwise...

I have a SNK809 and it states clearly on the caseback and movement that it is made in Malaysia. On the other hand, I just purchased a SNXS77 and it says nothing about the country of manufacture on the movement or on the case back.

Are the differences impacted by actual differences in the country of manufacture, the markets they were meant for (different labeling laws, etc.) or something else? They're both gray market (Amazon & Jomashop), so I have no idea where they were actually marketed originally.

Thanks!
Over the years, they have been made in Singapore, Malaysia and now China.
It all comes down to labeling laws in the countries where the watches are distributed.
Grey market are just watches the the ADs sell to third parties in order to keep their AD status with Seiko by buying at certain levels. Same watches, same quality.
Grey market sellers often don't include the paper and boxes to save money on shipping.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It would not surprise me to learn that they are all made in the same factory and installed in watches in different places.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
It doesn't matter, if they're all made by Seiko companies, using Seiko machines/robots and using Seiko QC. Same same, sama sama .

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't matter, if they're all made by Seiko companies, using Seiko machines/robots and using Seiko QC. Same same, sama sama .
And thus my lack of concern over where it's made as opposed to pure curiosity - it's just fun to know a little something about the history of the watches I own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts