The Watch Site banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Special Member
27,775 Posts
Pull the hands and do a careful and exact reset, Make sure the cannon on the hands are not enlarged to ensure a positive fit.

·
Researcher
5,276 Posts
Note that is perfectly safe to adjust date or day at any time. The wheel that does it has flexible plastic fingers designed to do tolerate that without any damage or problem.
And please note that Seiko specifically says not to change the day or date between 9pm and 4pm- and it definitely can cause damage to the mechanism, as many have found to their annoyance and cost. So you'll excuse me if I defer to the manufacturers own, and very sound advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
And please note that Seiko specifically says not to change the day or date between 9pm and 4pm- and it definitely can cause damage to the mechanism, as many have found to their annoyance and cost. So you'll excuse me if I defer to the manufacturers own, and very sound advice.
It was you that said: I can tell you that the tech pdfs often lie and will change from update to update
on http://www.thewatchsite.com/34-watc...-unified-seiko-7s-parts-list.html#post1664826

In this case, the user manual is lying, it probably hasn't been changed in the last 40 years.
So I've posted a quick video to show how the date/day wheel works. It shows quick-changing the date just after midnight (that is done by another wheel, not visible), however the plastic fingers (note how long they are) can flexibly absorb quick date change at any time. If it didn't, Seiko would have been inundated with warranty returns for their most widely manufactured family of movements ever.

·
Researcher
5,276 Posts
Well first off, I was referring to part numbers in your partial quote, secondly - even in the most up to date user's manual for 7s26 et al, Seiko (even after 20 yrs) still recommends you DO NOT change it over during the aforementioned hours. Even after a partial parts update - Seiko says do not do it. Even in the 4R36 user's handbook it warns - "Do not set the date between 9:00p.m. and 4:00 a.m. If you do, the date may not change properly / it may cause a malfunction." Anecdotal evidence also says that the wheel has and does break, Seiko designed the flexible fingers to lessen the chance of breakage during "inadvertent" changes, it didn't provide for the stresses of doing this as a standard practice. It's really not cool to advise people, practices that may very well damage their watch.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Seiko says do not do it. Even in the 4R36 user's handbook it warns - "Do not set the date between 9:00p.m. and 4:00 a.m. If you do, the date may not change properly / it may cause a malfunction." Anecdotal evidence also says that the wheel has and does break, Seiko designed the flexible fingers to lessen the chance of breakage during "inadvertent" changes, it didn't provide for the stresses of doing this as a standard practice. It's really not cool to advise people, practices that may very well damage their watch.
I have shown you how the mechanism works, and explained why it's safe, it's really easy to understand and anyone can try or form their opinion.

Now beside "anedoctal evidence" can you show here which part would break? Any picture ?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

·
Researcher
5,276 Posts
I have shown you how the mechanism works, and explained why it's safe, it's really easy to understand and anyone can try or form their opinion.

Now beside "anedoctal evidence" can you show here which part would break? Any picture ?
I know perfectly well how the mechanism works, and I don't require your help on what are very basic mechanics. You've given an opinion, which you presume to be correct, so you know better than Seiko and there's obviously no grey area if you're omniscient . Here's just one example of a broken wheel - found in seconds on Google http://watchmakingjourney.com/2015/10/19/automatic-watches-seiko-7s36b/ . And if you Read Noah's excellent post, he maintains that even if the part's are unlikely to break- it's still best to follow the caveat provided by Seiko. "should" - exactly my point.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I know perfectly well how the mechanism works, and I don't require your help on what are very basic mechanics. You've given an opinion, which you presume to be correct, so you know better than Seiko and there's obviously no grey area if you're omniscient . Here's just one example of a broken wheel - found in seconds on Google http://watchmakingjourney.com/2015/10/19/automatic-watches-seiko-7s36b/ . And if you Read Noah's excellent post, he maintains that even if the part's are unlikely to break- it's still best to follow the caveat provided by Seiko. "should" - exactly my point.
I did not claimed to know everything, but it seems to me you're the opinionated one here. Zero stress doesn't break things.
Will conclude here and thank you for your input.

·
Special Member
2,804 Posts
My two cents...whenever setting hands I always make sure I set them at 12 pm, not am.
Nothing scientific, just a habit. Never had an issue.

Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't want to interrupt the discussion about setting the date at presumably dangerous times, but here are some informations from me.

I set the hands, as jdm.watches suggested, hour hand, set the time to 6am, minute hand and it runs now since yesterday evening. Unfortunately, the hour hand will not take another conversion, as it slides way too easy on its shaft. I hope the fricition will be enough, not to let it slip and turn uncontrollably.

So, as someone pointed out, the dial seems to be unevenly printed, as the 6 and 9 hour-mark are aligned with the minute markers but the 12 and 3 are not. I think you are probably right, and this (original, bought as is) dial is slightly bad. Apart from this, as I check the time on a full hour, it seems that the alignment of the hands is now like 90% correct and it wouldn't get any better. I try to check every full hour and take a picture - as I reached 5 posts now, I can post them here.

Thank you so far. The pictures will be posted as I take them.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yes, so how do you know it's 12pm when you have no hands installed and the date doesn't change? :D

·
Special Member
2,804 Posts
To answer...date changes at 12a, advance hands to 12 p (movement is not wound)remove hands,,,,reinstall hands at 12p

Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
These are the results so far. I got to take 5 pictures over the day:

As you can see, the offset gets less the later it gets. Seems like the markers on the dial are not set correctly and its slightly turned clockwise, too. You can probably see that where the 12 o'clock marker is like 1mm off the minute markers. If you imagine the dial turned counterclockwise a tiny bit, everything (which means the date window, too) would be perfect.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts