The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an old 7a38 that I bought new, 30 some years ago. Recently dug it out of a drawer (didn't realize what a prize these were), and decided to have a new battery put in to see if it still works. Good news and bad... Everything except the 1/10th second hand works. Jeweler wants $275(!?!) to rehab it.

Any thoughts on what I might do with this? Where I could take it?

Thanks,

Jamie

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
well hello and welcome to the forum...glad to have you with us...well it could be many reasons why the 1/10 second hand is not functioning right...more than likely it needs a good service...any pics of the said watch?...was there any damage from the old battery?...some of these models can be valuable all depending on condition and how rare they were...i am sure we can help you get it back up and going...if you need anything feel free to pm me or post more...God Bless John

·
Administrator
33,293 Posts
Hi Jamie,

out of interest what is the full model number, 7A38-XXXX

There is a good chance that the coil wants replacing, a new one can be had for less than £20 from such has Stefan.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi Gentleman,

It's still at the jeweler's at the moment, but it's a 7A38-7289 with the day/date, all gold color case and face.

Don't think there was any damage from the battery, but I'll confirm. I'll post some pics after I pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Jamie

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
well why did he say the amount he quoted you...what did you get for that price?...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
There are a couple of members here on this forum that can repair those watches. I am not sure if John (Tiger) is interested and since he answered first if he wants to do the repair I would give him first crack at the job. If John does not want the work I can repair the watch most likely though there are no guarantees until you open it up and see what broke. I am not a jeweler just a hobbyist who owns 10 of the 7A series of Seiko chronographs and I keep spare parts on hand.
You could also just clean the watch up and wear it and enjoy it.
You could also go online and find a similar if not exact model of the watch in very nice shape for less than the repair charges and still make some money back by selling of the one that needs repairs. Even in need of repair it would bring at least $75 bucks if the watch case and band are in decent shape.
You have lots of options.

Michael

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
well that is a beautiful watch and well worth getting repaired...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Aloha Jamie and Welcome to the forum . Although you may not repair it yourself , here's some info you may find use full .
Coil block D for the chronograph 5/100 second is the same part number as coil block C for the chronograph minute , therefore interchangeable for trouble shooting purposes .

Screen shot 2015-03-12 at 9.05.41 AM.png

Screen shot 2015-03-12 at 9.06.03 AM.png

Screen shot 2015-03-12 at 9.07.04 AM.png

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great info, thanks! I have yet to make it back to the jeweler to pick up the watch. Will probably have to wait until Sat. now... But I'll be sure to be in touch with all of you watch geniuses once I do! Would really like to get this up and running.

Thanks,

Jamie

·
Registered
121 Posts
Most problems on 28's/38's are a relatively easy fix, $275 you're having a laugh it's probably a coil or a demagnetised rotor as ricardo says. Plenty of info available and both these problems you could do yourself in 10 mins. Good luck and if you need any help get in touch

Regards

·
Registered
931 Posts
Would shorting it help at all?
Shorting what ?? As far as I know from reading the tech info you don't short the + of the battery and an AC point . On some watches you would pull the stem to the first or second click and hold in the pushers for 2 - 3 seconds to do a reset .
I've attached some 7A38 tech Info that you could look over . Hopefully you can open it up . This info is available in the tech section of this forum , and of course from the knowledge that the members can contribute .

View attachment 7A38A.pdf

·
Registered
546 Posts
Shorting what ?? As far as I know from reading the tech info you don't short the + of the battery and an AC point . On some watches you would pull the stem to the first or second click and hold in the pushers for 2 - 3 seconds to do a reset .
I've attached some 7A38 tech Info that you could look over . Hopefully you can open it up . This info is available in the tech section of this forum , and of course from the knowledge that the members can contribute .

View attachment 157937
The battery, i know that for the 7t32 and the 6m25 and 8m25 in the tech manuals tell you to short the battery after a batt change.

Sorry for trying to help...

Also note the suggestion was posed as a question.

·
Registered
931 Posts
"Also note the suggestion was posed as a question."...A good question I might add . I just picked up another 7A38 at the Swap meet last Sunday . It Had been a while since I had installed a battery on that caliber so I had to do some refresher reading on it . It seems that lately I have been dealing with Seiko 7Axx's and 7Txx's and also with a few Citizen chronographs....They each have a few different techniques to set them .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts