The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 7A28-7039 chronograph in a lot of watches i picked up this weekend. I have always been more into mechanical watches but this one has some appeal to me because of the size. If it works when I put a battery in it is is something worth putting some money into; new crystal, bezel insert?

Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
R-
This is a Quartz ,and Mechanical Seiko chronograph, which is highly valued by collectors. It was also the model chosen for issue to the Royal Air Force in the U.K. so looks like you won the lottery with this 'get'. Check this site for more info-the 7A38 was the last of the line. http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/-I finally acquired one and I think of it as my special chronograph, I wear mine on a black lizard strap and its my precision time piece.So it seems you have done well-so congrats on your good luck!----Eli-

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. do you know if there is a source for a new bezel insert?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Definitely one of Seiko nicest quartz chronographs and very nice dial designs. The crystal might be discontinued but there are a couple of eBay sellers in the UK that have them. Finding a bezel inset might be tough. Finding the correct band is also very hard if the watch did not come with it. They are extremely accurate. They made several different sub variants with different color dials and bands. Once you start they can become addicting. They then evolved into the 7A38 and the day and date were added and many more interesting dial colors. Even a rare bright yellow dial version was made. If your not into it ofr much I would definitely fit a new crystal give it a good cleaning and find an appropriate looking band and enjoy it. It's fun watching the 1/10 hand race around the dial like mad!

Michael

·
Registered
933 Posts
Thank you. do you know if there is a source for a new bezel insert?
You can't get replacement inserts for these - only complete bezels. Seiko p/n is 82390064. There were a couple of folks selling them (NOS) on eBay a while back, including the late Jonathan Koch (a.k.a Swedefreak / jmk500), but they were asking $99 per ! :eek:hmy:

You might have more luck looking for a parts donor watch with a decent bezel. Check out eBay item # 131432488709. ;)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The bezel/insert may be tricky but the glass can be replaced very cheaply (50-60p) with a generic blank from somewhere like Cousins UK.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
well they are a very nice watch and well worth taking the time to make it right...Great find and to be honest it looks great just like it is...i have learned that sometimes it is best to enjoy it like it is...God Bless John

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good news, put a battery in it and it works. Now for a crystal and a cleaning. Any recommendations for a band?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
well there was a original one on the bay last week...i would suggest one that will increase the value...great to hear it is working well...nothing better than making a watch working again..God Bless John

·
Registered
157 Posts
I may have an original as well...its installed in a case. I removed the movement because it has an issue with one of the pusher controls on the board...not sure how that happened...everything else works though.

The case is an ugly 2 tone version so I don't mind having just the movement just to play with...a spare to my other one:) I also don't mind scalping it for parts...

Regardless I may be able to help out assuming the crystal is in decent condition...

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have SS bracelets on mine , also black lizard skin leather , black and brown alligator leather , sting ray leather , and carbon fiber with contrast stitching...and I like them all .
I an not sure if it is the same site as member Eli Forseiko mentions above , but I have gone to the site .. 7A38...by the numbers ..for info on these Chronographs .
Definitely get a new crystal if it needs one . I'm sure this will become one of your favorites ...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Put a generic 31.5 x 1.5mm crystal in mine.

Lacks the polished bevel edge of the original but couldn't justify £10 for an original (315W18GN00 at Cousins) when my example is a beater.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Put a generic 31.5 x 1.5mm crystal in mine.

Lacks the polished bevel edge of the original but couldn't justify £10 for an original (315W18GN00 at Cousins) when my example is a beater.
Don't know whose 'generic' you may have used, but Cousins own brand crystals sometimes come with a polished bevel edge, not too dissimilar from the original Seiko.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Very good info Dazzler...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't know whose 'generic' you may have used, but Cousins own brand crystals sometimes come with a polished bevel edge, not too dissimilar from the original Seiko.
True but there was virtually no bevel on the other side and being a tight fit I gave up trying to get it in straight. A crystal this thin is easy to break if you have to force it into a old, hard gasket.

Bevel side down it went straight in and the difference isn't that noticable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts