The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok probably not the choice of most but, to my eyes it is. Beauty is a purely subjective argument of course.

This is a watch that I have been lusting after for some time now but until you can hold it in your hands there will always be some doubt. It arrived Friday and with one look the doubts disappeared in a flash.

My argument: The design. Perfect balance of design and function in every detail.

The Dial: The large readable dial colour combination of black and silver is very pleasing to the eyes. It doesn’t distract and the silver sub dials are perfectly placed. No need for a day/date window as it would only interrupt the lines.

The Tachymeter ring: Not overpowering to the design and function. Even with the addition of pale gold register markings. It works.

The case: A perfect size for the average wrist. Weighted just right and the sloping solid lug ends blend seamlessly with the bespoke bracelet.

The three buttons and crown: Symmetrically placed for easy access and not protruding out as to distract from the overall design.

The bracelet: Again more attention to detail. This bracelet seems to be exclusive to this model and carries on with the black and silver theme.

The 7A28 movement: Crack the back open and what you see is a mass of stainless steel. Not the intricacies of an automatic but you know that Seiko have designed and built a serviceable quartz movement meant for accuracy and longevity.

No wonder Seiko used a dashboard of a Porsche as it’s back drop for it’s Ad campaign. A perfect marriage of two companies that put design, engineering, function and quality very high on their agenda.
Could this be a product of joint design venture? Porsche are known to have collaborated on many hundreds if not thousands of design and engineering projects throughout it’s history. It has always been their policy not to make public such ventures. Is Seiko subtly telling us about a Porsche involvement by this inclusion in it’s Ad? Hmmmm......I wonder.

There is no need to debate my choice as it is only my opinion on what fits into my own taste parameters. And like my dear and departed father used to say, “Opinions are like a__ holes. Everybody’s got one.”

So this is my vote for the most beautiful Seiko watch of all time.

What’s yours?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Beautiful 7A28, congratulations!

As you say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have quite a few watches. Mostly Seiko, but also some others - including a few very upmarket Swiss ones. Even though not my favourite watch (that honour belongs to the 6119-6023), from a sheer aesthetics point-of-view, to my eyes this pristine Presmatic (5146-7030) is the most beautiful watch ever made by man!

Credit for the picture has to go to its former owner. For those of you that know Technoman, this watch represents the quality we've come to expect from him. It even has its original, signed bracelet. AJ, I hope you don't mind? Please feel free to delete if you do....

Regards
Alvin

·
Registered
292 Posts
rehunk said:

What’s yours?

Mine would be any 7A28, 7A38, 7A48 or even 7A34 but I'm not terribly keen on the Giugiaro versions.

Here's my 7A38-703B to keep yours company (sorry it's a bit out of focus).
Kind regards
Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 7A28 and 7A38 were definately top contenders for best looking Seiko, it would be difficult to pick exactly which varient though as there are so many :57:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Ron,

Congratulations, I had one of those and agree that it is a design classic. The bracelet is pure class.

But I am going to have to disagree on whether it is the most beautiful Seiko ever. Yes, I know you said 'no debate'...

My award goes to the white helmet chrono. In my opinion the best watch design aesthetically speaking, ever.

It is one of those watches that pictures don't do justice to.

If I could only keep one auto, that would be it - and it would have to be the white, even though I own black and white.

Regards

Jem

·
Registered
42 Posts
pollyc said:
rehunk; I agree the 7A28-703X series along with many of the other 7A28/38/48 etc are design classics and are my favourite quartz chronographs by a long chalk for all the reasons you rightly identify.

Fitted a new lens to this last friday.

Mike
I have this particular model but seldom wear it. The 7A28 is certainly a superb movement and mine is very accurate.
It's the 80s version of the 6139-6002.:)

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
No problem at all Alvin, though it does bring a tear to my eye to see her again. I completely agree with you on just how gorgeous this watch is, particularly in the flesh. I am genuinely happy it is with you now :)

AKOMEOGI said:
Beautiful 7A28, congratulations!

As you say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have quite a few watches. Mostly Seiko, but also some others - including a few very upmarket Swiss ones. Even though not my favourite watch (that honour belongs to the 6119-6023), from a sheer aesthetics point-of-view, to my eyes this pristine Presmatic (5146-7030) is the most beautiful watch ever made by man!

Credit for the picture has to go to its former owner. For those of you that know Technoman, this watch represents the quality we've come to expect from him. It even has its original, signed bracelet. AJ, I hope you don't mind? Please feel free to delete if you do....

Regards
Alvin

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Congratulations on your beautiful score. :bravo_2: Enjoy. :great:

I have said it before...I just love watches. There are so many that meet my requirements for the most beautiful Seiko. It is a personal choice for our favorites and we all have different tastes. I think that is why Seiko made so many different looking beautiful watches.

Mark

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your input.

Some GREAT watches there. :bravo_2:

John, PLEASE don't let me get started on the Bell's............. :)

Jem, I have been wanting a White dialed Helmut for a while but this came up which I couldn't resist ($56). Arrived last week. All original I believe. The great white hunt goes on... ;)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Ron,

that black dialled one is looking nice and original.

Maybe if you bump into Patrick Kielty you can ask him if he wants to let this one go (I spotted this on his wrist on a Breakfast TV show , on a zulu or nato no less- he must be a real WIS guy you think?)
Sorry for poor quality but I took a snap of the screen with my iPhone

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

·
Administrator
28,463 Posts
rehunk said:
Thanks everyone for your input.

Some GREAT watches there. :bravo_2:

John, PLEASE don't let me get started on the Bell's............. :)

Jem, I have been wanting a White dialed Helmut for a while but this came up which I couldn't resist ($56). Arrived last week. All original I believe. The great white hunt goes on... ;)

[/quote]

That looks to be a great but and with the original bracelet, nice one Ron, i really like mine (replaced the crystal and bezel). See you Sunday :)
[IMG]

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
John, new glass incoming but it may sit in the drawer whilst I build up enough courage to tackle that bezel. ???

·
Registered
60 Posts
rehunk said:
Ok probably not the choice of most but, to my eyes it is. Beauty is a purely subjective argument of course.

This is a watch that I have been lusting after for some time now but until you can hold it in your hands there will always be some doubt. It arrived Friday and with one look the doubts disappeared in a flash.

My argument: The design. Perfect balance of design and function in every detail.

The Dial: The large readable dial colour combination of black and silver is very pleasing to the eyes. It doesn’t distract and the silver sub dials are perfectly placed. No need for a day/date window as it would only interrupt the lines.

The Tachymeter ring: Not overpowering to the design and function. Even with the addition of pale gold register markings. It works.

The case: A perfect size for the average wrist. Weighted just right and the sloping solid lug ends blend seamlessly with the bespoke bracelet.

The three buttons and crown: Symmetrically placed for easy access and not protruding out as to distract from the overall design.

The bracelet: Again more attention to detail. This bracelet seems to be exclusive to this model and carries on with the black and silver theme.

The 7A28 movement: Crack the back open and what you see is a mass of stainless steel. Not the intricacies of an automatic but you know that Seiko have designed and built a serviceable quartz movement meant for accuracy and longevity.

[img]

No wonder Seiko used a dashboard of a Porsche as it’s back drop for it’s Ad campaign. A perfect marriage of two companies that put design, engineering, function and quality very high on their agenda.
Could this be a product of joint design venture? Porsche are known to have collaborated on many hundreds if not thousands of design and engineering projects throughout it’s history. It has always been their policy not to make public such ventures. Is Seiko subtly telling us about a Porsche involvement by this inclusion in it’s Ad? Hmmmm......I wonder.

There is no need to debate my choice as it is only my opinion on what fits into my own taste parameters. And like my dear and departed father used to say, “Opinions are like a__ holes. Everybody’s got one.”

What’s yours?
[/quote]

In my opinion, the SBGM 001. I don't know if the photo will copy, but I'll try!

[img]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts