The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've started a new mod thread in the Mod child forum and want to have a thread here so that i can ask the board for some expert advice along the way. The impetus to start this restoration project actually came from one of TigerUK's post on using the more ubiquitous 6309 Auto movement in the older Quartz Tuna.

To begin with the stock 7549 movement is shot...

Here it is out of the case...can someone perhaps see if there is a way to get the battery strap off. It looks like the screw heads are broken (?), but everything is snug and tight, and don't want to inflict damage removing it. I also see some dark areas around the coil and wonder if it is fried...

I've been reading and re-reading Harry's thread on his Tuna repair, but think it best for my project to set the 7549 aside for repairs and go with the 6309 to get it on the wrist faster (I can always revert to the 7549 later). I think it needs to be completely disassembled and cleaned, new battery and possibly coil replaced too. Any thoughts on the cost of such a service? Best place to send it? Seiko factory, or respected shop? Any help appreciated, I may get up the nerve to do it myself but other than finding Harry's post there is almost no good movement photos and diagrams online.

Best,

Mike

·
Registered
227 Posts
Re: 7549 Tuna questions and help

You can put in a 6309 movement into a 7549 case, there is just one thing which is not going to fit.

The hands of the 7549 will not fit the 6309 movements as the holes in the hands are a lot bigger.

A solution would be: using 6309 hands, which in my opinion is not the best choice or use hands of the SBBN007 which look very simular to the 7549 hands.

If you ask me..try to get the screws of the battery strap loose, be carefull not to slide into the coil as these are easily damaged.

Lots of parts of these movements are interchangeable with 7546/8 and 6309 movements and as long as the circuit and coil are ok, there is a way to get the movement working.

The vintage stuff should be original if possible.

·
Super Moderator
3,143 Posts

[quote author=Luka-San link=topic=5469.msg25145#msg25145 date=1278143312

If you ask me..try to get the screws of the battery strap loose, be carefull not to slide into the coil as these are easily damaged.

Lots of parts of these movements are interchangeable with 7546/8 and 6309 movements and as long as the circuit and coil are ok, there is a way to get the movement working.

Luka-San is right on, and may I add admonishment not to attempt anything you are not comfortable and familiar with, especially removing the broken screws near the coil. One slip (which is easy to do when faced with turning a 1/2 screw head even with experience) and you have possibly ruined the coil. Both the coil and circuit are different part numbers from the 7546 and 7548, and while I am not certain of the differences beyond the caliber number printed on the circuit, it is quite possible that there are internal differences.

It is possibly a moot point as I see a fair amount of corrosion/rust on the circuit and mainplate- which can easily be death to the coil and circuit- the two hardest/most expensive parts to replace for the 7549. As Luka mentioned, originality of such a nice, higher-end vintage piece should be considered, for what it's worth.

·
Administrator
33,234 Posts

Still working on my Tuna project, mine came with the water damaged original dial/hands/movement so after replacing the seals and sorting the original crystal out i did put a 6309 movement in just so that i could wear it, i have little or no patiance :) but i really wanted it to be an original 7549-7010 Tuna. So i did get the original movement running after replacing one or two parts but i have had issues with it so still working on it (but looking very promising now :) )and hunting for a original dial still.

Looked good with the 6309 in it but i do want it to be original.

First picture with 6309 in it and second picture how dial received.

·
Administrator
33,234 Posts

Hi Bry i cleaned the original hands up (H/M) but the second hand was kaput, been wearing it today on a mesh :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

rileynp said:
[quote author=Luka-San link=topic=5469.msg25145#msg25145 date=1278143312

Luka-San is right on, and may I add admonishment not to attempt anything you are not comfortable and familiar with, especially removing the broken screws near the coil. One slip (which is easy to do when faced with turning a 1/2 screw head even with experience) and you have possibly ruined the coil. Both the coil and circuit are different part numbers from the 7546 and 7548, and while I am not certain of the differences beyond the caliber number printed on the circuit, it is quite possible that there are internal differences.

It is possibly a moot point as I see a fair amount of corrosion/rust on the circuit and mainplate- which can easily be death to the coil and circuit- the two hardest/most expensive parts to replace for the 7549. As Luka mentioned, originality of such a nice, higher-end vintage piece should be considered, for what it's worth.

Thanks guys, the advice is perfect and your thoughts echo my own. One, like TigerUK, I would love to get it on the wrist so will go thru the 6309 rebuild as you have done; and then two, keep and restore as many good original parts as possible and get that going on the side with the movement repair. Once I get the battery strap off, I can put a new battery in and begin diagnosis. But I agree it looks ominous with the darkened areas, they are likely burned. The missing date wheel is another concern, and will have to be dealt with soon.

Wanted to say a specific thanks to the knowledge base on this site, it has been a huge help to gather momentum with such a project.

Happy 4th to my fellow USA'ers out there...new updates soon after this weekend.

Best,

Mike

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

New question re. movement swaps.

After looking in the Mod forum and the post on 6309 using 7c43 movements...

If the 6309 movement is a drop in to a 7549-7010 Tuna, and the 7c43 Quartz movement is a drop in to a 6309 case, is it a reasonable assumption that a 7c43 would then also be a drop in to fit the 7549-7010 Tuna case? Has anyone tried this (before I go run off to find a 7c43 donor)?

Best,

Mike

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Just a quick note to say the 6309 movement swap was successful. I had to fit the male end of the 6309 crown to the outer female end of the 7549 crown (I think that is the right explanation) and that was the only hiccup I had. Once done, presto, all works great and is on the wrist now to check timing.

I just ordered a new SBBN007 dial from Rob, and then it is just the hands left to decide...I'll post new pics once that new dial arrives, the current ebay Philippines sourced 6309 dial is rather embarrassingly ugly with its cheap lime green indices, so no reason to soil the thread with photos of it. ::)

Now does anybody have a part number for both the date and day wheels with "white text on black background". I've been going thru Jules site and can't seem to pinpoint the right part numbers. I've also searched all the tech pdfs here, and all I could find was 801-679 for the number date dial, but it is the black on white version. Any help sourcing the white on black day/date dials for a 6309 movement would be of enormous help. I'm guessing I am not searching the right case movement...

Best,

Mike

·
Administrator
33,234 Posts

speedbird119 said:
I just ordered a new SBBN007 dial from Rob, and then it is just the hands left to decide...I'll post new pics once that new dial arrives, the current ebay Philippines sourced 6309 dial is rather embarrassingly ugly with its cheap lime green indices, so no reason to soil the thread with photos of it. ::)

Mike
Here is what the SBN007 dial looked like on my 7549, really like that dial but i have swapped it back out in my "quest" to get it back to all original.

Still can't get hold of a chapter ring though :'(

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Yeah, I'll put it all back to original too once I get on with fixing my 7549 movement, but I think that is fair way off. Good to know the 007 dial is a direct swap, Rob said as much too. I wish the Tuna hands would fit the 6309, seems Rob is having some issues with his setup and its going to be the final hang-up I think.

I have no idea on the chapter ring, mine was so oxidized and now it is sanded bare. I wish there was some form of repainting service for dials and similar parts.

Best,

Mike

·
Administrator
33,234 Posts

speedbird119 said:
. Good to know the 007 dial is a direct swap, Rob said as much too.

Mike
Mike the 007 dial is not a direct swap onto the 7549 movement, the feet are not in exactly the correct place and the hole in the centre is too small.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Ah, OK it must be in reference to the 6309 movement then, (which is what I'm doing with it). Thx!

Best,

Mike

·
Registered
2,999 Posts

speedbird119 said:
Yeah, I'll put it all back to original too once I get on with fixing my 7549 movement, but I think that is fair way off. Good to know the 007 dial is a direct swap, Rob said as much too. I wish the Tuna hands would fit the 6309, seems Rob is having some issues with his setup and its going to be the final hang-up I think.

[glow=red,2,300]I have no idea on the chapter ring[/glow], mine was so oxidized and now it is sanded bare. I wish there was some form of repainting service for dials and similar parts.

Best,

Mike
Contact Luka-San, bro! Check him out on the member's list, here. Good luck! I'm following closely your rebuild project,here. Rooting for a happy ending. ;)

Regards,
CHRIS

·
Administrator
33,234 Posts

Chris said:
Contact Luka-San, bro! Check him out on the member's list, here. Good luck! I'm following closely your rebuild project,here. Rooting for a happy ending. ;)

Regards,
CHRIS
I have tried Luka Chris but he does not seem to have much in stock for the 7549 :'(

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Well, in case anyone was interested or wondering...I ordered the Timefactors Retro Rubber Strap and it arrived today. So far, my fav. combo on this case. The strap is incredibly soft, but a real dust magnet. Really transformed how it felt on the wrist, much nicer than the harder rubber Seiko 22 strap that I've had it on for the past two days. And it does look great on the wrist from normal viewing distances and not under the gaze of the super camera lens, (which shows every speck of dust!)

The fugly dial is killing the joy tho...but I'm inching ever so closer. ::)

Best,

Mike

1 - 20 of 53 Posts