The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
30,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough a while ago to get this from a good friend and for the last few months i have been "playing" with it.

In a former life it got really badly water damaged so came to me all complete but not working.

So a complete strip down obviously and all the easy stuff sorted out very quickly, a good clean of all the case parts, new gaskets, crystal polished.

At this time due to my normal impatience i planted a 6309 into it just so that i could wear it and i quite liked the look of it in that format but it was only ever going to be a stop gap as i wanted it to be original.

Then to the movement, water damaged as i said but after taking the dial and hands off (I lost the second hand during the removal as the tube was corroded so us) at the back end there was corrosion under the circuit etc but in all honesty not to bad, i feared much worse, so a good clean in all that area and then why not try a battery in it just to see if there was any hope ? and wow there was life !!! whoooeeee (I got sort of excited at that point LoL

Then to the front end of the movement, the water again had left a residue of corrosion on the main plate, the date dial was ruined (no problem same as a 6309 etc) and thankfully the day wheel was perfect, strange but good as the day wheel is specific to this model i believe, the plastic date mechanism had also deteriated due to the water so changed that, again no problem a common part. So cleaned and polished all the corrosion away and then before any assembling of the movement i ran it with just a second hand on it for a few days and all seemed good, things were looking better than promising :)

Two big problems, the dial and the chapter ring are/were poor, so after all attempts to get an original dial/chapter ring failed i decided i would have to use the chapter ring as is and i sourced a 07 Tuna dial from Rob (thanks) the original hands much to my surprise cleaned up really nice and after a relume looked pretty good.

This is were my problems really started :(

Minor problem first the centre hole in the 07 Tuna dial is smaller than the 7549 so i opened this up to be a nice fit over the hour shaft, sorted the dial feet out and fitted it with the hands, it ran then stopped but just a tweak of the crown and it would run again for either a min or a hour and then stop, well this went on for a few days and i was going sleep trying to fathom what the problem was !!

A sudden thought then came into my head i had made a elementary mistake !! :-[ :-[ I had made the hole too good a fit not allowing the hour hand any clearance so it was dragging on the dial :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ by now another week had gone by so i decided to open the hole but also in the mean time i had decided that even though i REALLY liked the look of it with the new dial i wanted it to be as made a 7549-7010 so i took this opportunity to swap back to the original dial and with the hands reinstalled away it went as good as gold, sorted !!!!

No it wasn't :'( :'( it now tended to run for long periods not to accurately and stop altogether :'( :'(

After more days of observing it seemed that the date change worked ok but at the day change it stopped so again something not quite right, dial off again :'( I made sure every thing was in place and free and i again polished all the surfaces to make sure there was nothing causing any fowling or drag also when removing the "C" clip the first time i stripped it a 1/4 of the clip broke off due to corrosion, could this be causing a problem ? I hunted round and found that Borels showed that they had them so Steve in the States ordered it for me only to get a note that they dident have them in stock and it would be put on back order, bugger.

So dial back on and see how it now performs, well for the next week or two it would run for days or hours lose time, stop and it was driving me mad and then it stopped altogether :'( :'( :'( :'( !!!

I then spent the next couple of days thinking there MUST be something dragging on the movement some were causing it to stop, i thought of every thing but nothing seemed reasonable, i even thought of giving up and going the easy route and putting the 6309 back in and slapping myself on the back for a nice mod but....

Then another obvious and elementary thought crossed my mind " I wonder if the battery is good ?" you've guessed it, a new battery tried and away it went again :-[

Again over the next couple of weeks it ran reasonable but was losing quite a lot of time and stopped a couple of times, i then in frustration took it out side and placed it on a brick and hit it hard with a lump hammer many many times until it was unrecognisable as a watch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ok i dident but i felt like doing that to it :)) :))

I then sat looking at it one night a few weeks back and i wound the hands round manually for about 50 complete turns and the day date was working fine the hands were working fine bugger i give up, so set the time again and left it running and put it away, 3 or 4 days later i checked it and it was within a min of the correct time, phew it was just kidding me and trying to frustrate me and i put it away again, i took another sneaky look without opening the draw fully as by now i thought that perhaps it was cursed and was watching me watching it !! the next day and it was still running fine, two weeks went by and still ok but a few mins slow, mmmm whats going on here is it now ok ?

I now adjusted the trimmer/regulator and over a couple of days the accuracy was pretty good but not quite right another little tweak of the trimmer and now over the last 3 or 4 days it is within one second and running strong !!! the threat of the hammer obviously had an affect on it :)

I have it on a 22mm mesh which i like and now thinking of one of the 22mm thick sharks.

Still need a decent dial, chapter ring and second hand but in general very happy with the out come :) just got to pay the man for it now, i wonder if the price will go up now its a runner ? :) :)

The moral of the story ?? save up the $$$ and buy a brand new Tuna and unlike me keep your hair :))

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nice post! Yours is a big inspiration on my own 7549 Tuna project. I'm still awaiting the 6309, so I can at least start wearing it, but I'm thankful of your time to work on the stock movement. I'll likely follow a similar path.

Thanks for sharing and I expect to pick your brain on it down the road. ;D

Best,

Mike

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
wow, John, great dedication and some nice work. ;)
Yes, saving and buying a new tuna is a good idea, but now this 7549 tuna has more meaning. Heck your a good watch savior, as you brought this baby back to life.
Looks good, hope it stays a runner for a long time to come. :)

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Great work John as always. Did you repaint the black on the original dial? It looks great from the pictures so wouldn't an option be to just relume that one? and hunt down a chapter ring?

Again, great work...

·
Administrator
30,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bry1975 said:
Why not have the dial redone professionally John?
Hi Bry,
That option did pass through my mind but as a very wise "Old Geezer" said to me when i discussed it with him (much more knowledgeable than me) if you have it refinished how ever it comes out it will always be a "refinished" dial, so still looking for an original.

·
Administrator
30,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Technoman said:
Great work John as always. Did you repaint the black on the original dial? It looks great from the pictures so wouldn't an option be to just relume that one? and hunt down a chapter ring?

Again, great work...
As you can see in the picture of the original dial it is very poor with the coating peeling off of it so...........i did nothing clever at all, well the dial was kaput and i couldent really make it any worse could i ? so i used a special black marker pen on it that i got hold of and to the naked eye and on the wrist it looks fine but under a light and a lupe you can see it is a amateurish paint job.

ps: I don't know whether any of you guys have used a black marker to colour in a chapter ring etc hoping for a black colour but when done it is really not black ? well this marker is guaranteed "Black" and long lasting.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an original dial for that watch.....and I dont need it. Dont like the "Quarz" on the dial....and the movement either..

If your interested, sent me an PM

J.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The dial looks 'restorable' as it is only the black areas which have faded, the major wording are fine.

What you need is a friend/colleague who is a serious scale-modeller. They are good with fine airbrush work and this will probably take them all of 15minutes to touch up (13minutes to match the paint and 2 to shoot it).

You can drop by your local scale-modeller supplier and see if they can recommend someone, the shop employees are also usually hobbyist so they may help you if you ask them nicely.

Since you're into restoring watches, you might look into getting 'into' airbrushing as it is good for minor repair work. I've been wanting to buy some kit buts its too darn expensive in malaysia.

Anil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts