The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

i really love my 7548, the most accurate watch i´ve ever had ... and don´t forget, this baby is 34 years old.

But there is one thing which disturbs me ... the second hand don´t match the index. Is there any possibility to fix that 'problem'?

Best regards

Steffen

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good to me :cool:. So I have to learn how i can manage that as a watchmaker greenhorn :grin::eek:

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Steffen

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I've been beaten to it with the answer which is to take it off and reset it.
I really have clumsy fingers in my old age and seconds hands really play me up. I daren't go near removing and fitting sub dial hands!!:mad:
It's not difficult though if you're not clumsy so you should give it a go.:D

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Hi, Steffen!

I had the same issue with a 7546 dive watch, but it's an easy fix to remove and re-position the second hand. An inexpensive "Watch Hand Remover Tool" can be bought at any of the major watch parts stores online for less than $15 USD, which, in addition to a good pair of tweezers and a tool to remove the case-back, is all you should really need in the way of special tools. You will also need something to press the hand back down into place. Hour/minutes hands require a special tool with a hole in the middle to make room for the cannon pinion, but since you are only re-setting the second hand you may not need it. Others may disagree with this method, but I've simply used the eraser on the back of a pencil to apply the downward pressure on the second hand - the narrower the better so you don't accidentally bend the second hand while applying pressure.

Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow @ Twall3

Thank you very much for the information. I´think in the future i will modify some other watches, also the hour/minutes hand, so I think it makes sense if I by some tools. Can you prefer me some? A tool to remove the case-back i´ve made by myself, so that should´t be a problem :)

Thank you very much and thank you in advanche!

Best regards from Germany

Steffen

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Hi, Steffen -

I'm not sure the best place to buy watchmaking supplies in Germany. The closest place I can think of is Cousins (based in the UK), although Amazon frequently has some of the more common tools (e.g., watch case opener). Anyway, the tools that I suggested in my earlier post are the following (which should have you covered if all you're looking to do is swap/mod hands):

Hand Remover
Hand Setter
Case Back Tool
Dial Protectors

You can, of course, spend more money on nicer versions of each of these (and may want to, especially if you begin to work on more expensive watches), but these are what I started out with and they will get you going. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Oh, also - a good case knife is frequently very handy (and necessary for removing diver bezels, and case backs that aren't screw-on), but you can generally get away with using the small blade from a Swiss army knife if you're careful

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Sounds good to me :cool:. So I have to learn how i can manage that as a watchmaker greenhorn :grin::eek:

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Steffen
Steffen,

Practice on some cheap watches before you attempt anything with your beloved 7548. Better yet, let a qualified watch maker do the work for you.

Best wishes,
Myles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts