The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just putting a 7548 back together after receiving a gifted dial spacer ring from in the Melt" UK. Small drama I'm having is I can't get the day wheel to sit right. What ever I try I end up with it sitting half day displayed in the window.
So I tried a wheel off one of my other 7548s thinking it was the old wheel not right. Ended up with the same half window display with the new one also.. Even swapped over the cover plate with the day jumper on same result also.
Is it a case of me not seeing the forest for the trees, as I can't see any where to adjust / tweak to make it come good. The cog on the wheel and the gear that turns it line up good ,its seems that the jumper clicks it over that one tooth to cause the misalignment.

Thanks Tony.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Tony, There are crown at 3 o'clock day wheels and crown at 4 o'clock day wheels. You could have the wrong day wheel. The only other posibility is that the the day wheel disc has slipped on the star wheel. This is a common problem on Seiko day wheels. If that's the case, It can be re-aligned if you're careful but in order for it to last, once the wheel is re-aligned, it will need to be re-staked to keep it from slipping in the future.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tony, There are crown at 3 o'clock day wheels and crown at 4 o'clock day wheels. You could have the wrong day wheel. The only other posibility is that the the day wheel disc has slipped on the star wheel. This is a common problem on Seiko day wheels. If that's the case, It can be re-aligned if you're careful but in order for it to last, once the wheel is re-aligned, it will need to be re-staked to keep it from slipping in the future.
Thanks for the reply, the old wheel has now come apart. So not having a staking set. I have some JB weld handy. Going to dry line up the wheel and its gear in the window. Then carefully remove dial and carefully mark both parts, add the JB and let it set. I have nothing to lose,so will see how it goes later. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Cheers Tony

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, the old wheel has now come apart. So not having a staking set. I have some JB weld handy. Going to dry line up the wheel and its gear in the window. Then carefully remove dial and carefully mark both parts, add the JB and let it set. I have nothing to lose,so will see how it goes later. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Cheers Tony
Update, JB was a no goer. I think the only way to repair is to stake. With any form of gluing you can't press the two parts together enough . So when you mount it on the cog it sits too high and does'nt mesh with the jumper correctly. Well I had to give it a shot.
The upside is that a day wheel from a 6119 which has the crown at the 4 position fits perfectly. I happen to have one on a spare 6119 and it all fitted great . Happy days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts