The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Special Member
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ve just had land a 7548 (all original and really nice) non runner
Cleaned the case etc- strip down - new glass.
Popped a new battery in ........nothing
Nudged the seconds hand and it will tick 1 second then stop- no more
Any other tips (other than a service)
Ta

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I've given the second hand a good nudge through 60 seconds and more but with no real force that would cause any damage. A drop of watch oil on the pivots might help to. I have heard some people (not me) have used a demagnitiser to rotate the hands and see if train is free. Warming the watch might also loosen the gummed oil. But in the end a service might be your only option and might be quicker long term.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Lewie,

I understand you don't want to hear this; but a service is what it needs! ;)

You have a near perfect watch, that is easy to service and afterwards will serve you for another 30 years easily! (It can be made waterresistant again as well at low cost!) The forces in a mechanical and even more so quartz watch are so delicate, one shouldn't nudge...only thing you can try is turning the hands by turning the crown.

In short; invest a little more money, it 'll be wort it! :)

Kind regards Paul

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I agree with that, the electronics of the movement obviously has life to move the sweep hand. If you can service a 6309 or similar you can also service a 7548 with a little care and clean and lube the gear train.

·
Craftsman
527 Posts
Here's the bridge of a 7548 I recently serviced.

I'd seen a lot worse, but this needed a good clean to remove the accumulated dirt and oil that had built up over the years.

You only need a speck of something not meant to be there to stop the gear train.

As has been said, these are very straightforward to service, the manuals are available and there are lots of pictures and guides to follow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts