The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping a 7548 expert may be able to help me!

The second hand of my watch began to move at 2 second intervals which I understand is an indication of low battery. So I installed a new battery and now the watch does not work at all. Installing the old battery, which still show some charge, makes no difference. I have not touched the coil or any other part of the movement during the battery change. Anyone out there with a similar experience and hopefully tips to get the movement started again?!

Many thanks,

Mark

·
Administrator
32,595 Posts
I assume that the crown/stem is pushed all the way back in, not hacking ? :)

The first thought would be that you inadvertently caught the coil with the battery strap but if you say you dident then it's a strange one.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply! In fact I have just swapped the batteries again and after perhaps two minutes or so it has started and is ticking at 1 second intervals normally. I just reset the time and it again took perhaps 30-60 seconds before starting again. Is that normal? I don't remember this from my last battery change...could it be the battery is not quite at full power?

Mark

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Maybe the age of the watch - sometimes one of mine needs a coax to get going after a battery change - old oil in the movement etc

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, that makes sense I think. The watch is from 1980 but was transformed into a TST some time ago. It now seems to be happy again , thanks Lewie!

Mark

·
Special Member
5,243 Posts
Hi, If it was me I would have the watch serviced, highly likely the gear train has got gummed up, but I am glad you got it going....��.....Bob

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Mark If the second hand is twitching take the movement out by releasing the stem. Then with a toothpick gentle nudge the second hand forward. This often gets the movement up and running again. Also clean the battery contacts and maybe put the watch on a radiator or heat source. You could also see if any screws on the movement are loose.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice guys! It seems to be running just fine now....it was the extended start up time that had me fooled. I don't imagine that it has ever been serviced so I will take Bob's advice and schedule a spring clean for the movement.
Mark

·
Administrator
32,595 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys! It seems to be running just fine now....it was the extended start up time that had me fooled. I don't imagine that it has ever been serviced so I will take Bob's advice and schedule a spring clean for the movement.
Mark
Never had one perform like that, either dead or alive as a rule:)

Has an aside this is why I always leave analogue quartz watches running especially quartz such has the 7A range and all it's chronograph functions as well.

I see some guys pull the crown to stop the movement to save the battery but my thoughts are while the movement is running there is less chance of them gumming up which often happens to analogues that have sat idle for long periods of time.

Ok you might get a little more time out of your battery which would save you pennies but then if your watch needs a service because of leaving it not running.................................

·
Special Member
5,243 Posts
Never had one perform like that, either dead or alive as a rule:)

Has an aside this is why I always leave analogue quartz watches running especially quartz such has the 7A range and all it's chronograph functions as well.

I see some guys pull the crown to stop the movement to save the battery but my thoughts are while the movement is running there is less chance of them gumming up which often happens to analogues that have sat idle for long periods of time.

Ok you might get a little more time out of your battery which would save you pennies but then if your watch needs a service because of leaving it not running.................................
Well said John........:).......Bob

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hi
I had something similar with a 7546 I was working on, if you hacked it and then pushed the crown back in it would not restart for between 20-30 seconds, I figured dirty movement but after a good clean it still did it so I swapped the circuit from another watch and it started straight away, the original circuit by the way once running would keep time perfectly so I'm still at a loss to explain what's wrong with it.
Seikola

1 - 12 of 12 Posts