The Watch Site banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another 7548 in the mix! Quartz appears popular at the moment.
Well got this little beaut off of here, knowing the date wheel stopped turning at 13 on the 2nd crown position, this worried me, as I saw it as an omen. Worked on the hour hand passing midnight and kept good time.
Stripped it down and rotated the day wheel to 13, and inspected the area, found tooth damage at day 9.

Better pic

Only got this black day wheel in the spares box at the mo, look a bit odd, days a day though

Got a choice of day wheels though, original at top. Which one to fit?

Regards, David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Day wheel with romans is cool :cool:

Give Stefan a try for the date wheel. I've brought a couple of Pogue ones with the Jap whohar on them which look mighty cool even though I have no bleeding idea what they say!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's the wrong date wheel lay out, so had another rummage and found another one, but it's a little damaged

I reckon a Kanji date wheel is impossible to find on it's own, I have a 7548 Kanji anyway :) . I'd like the black day and date wheel, probably another impossibility.

Regards, David

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Wonder if the old dial silvering powder I use on clocks would restore these... Are the wheels ally or brass?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ally by the feel of them, very flimsy like ally. I'll just get a new one of some sorts.

Regards, David

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
hmm give it a little scratch on the back of the wrecked one and see if it comes up brass coloured. The dials are silver but when scratched reveal brass underneath. Just I might be able to re-silver that date ring for you or send you the powders to do it yourself :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's definitely ally. Sorry didn't reply earlier, finished off this one, and then played around with my next project.

Regards, David

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
It's definitely ally. Sorry didn't reply earlier, finished off this one, and then played around with my next project.

Regards, David

I'll see what happens tomorrow when I silver ally with the silvering powder. It's what they likely used when they were new to colour them although in theory if it's ally then just spinning it in the lathe with a fine sand paper should give the correct finish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts