The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are my 6 7548’s. First 5 are 700F and the last (far right) is a 700B.
July 1978; Nov ‘80; Dec ‘80; Dec ‘80; Oct ‘85; Dec ‘80
The two on the right have black dials. The B model has the Kanji date wheel but the dial is missing the SQ and is marked for water resist.

After getting the last two 700F’s rebuilt (2,3 left to right) my question is about storage and batteries.
Both of these had battery leakage and the damage was extensive (work is chronicled on another post)
What battery should be in these, which should be avoided and if I’m not rotating them should I just take the battery out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I would leave them running all the time, batteries are cheap, or pull crown out to stop from running and run them a couple of hors weekly faithfully. nice watches.

·
Special Member
2,688 Posts
I would run them, check periodically, when battery dies, change immediately. Not much wear and tear. Would be more worried about the oils if they were left non running

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice, I think the 7548 is one of the best models Seiko produced I have a few and always leave them running but keep an eye on them and just change the battery when needed.

ps: You should try and add a 7548-7010 to your collection, superb.
I really like them. I pick them up whenever I see them cheap, regardless of shape. I’ve been thinking of what you said for a while. Actually keeping a couple of the 700f’s and selling the rest and then expanding on different variants. But it’s hard to choose which to release into the wild!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Great line up! This is, perhaps irrationally, my favorite Seiko diver. A 700B with a black bezel was my first Seiko and since getting it on my wrist I've been unable to resist buying them. As a result, I have about a dozen runners spanning nearly the entire series. And, to your question, I keep them ticking. Battery changes when indicated.

·
Special Member
3,235 Posts
@ donoman - Fantastic Collection of 7548s - They are highly addictive :)

I store my 7548s with the batteries removed but after reading this thread perhaps not the best way. I was more concerned about the possibility of the batteries dying and leaking as they are in storage and I do not check them very often (I can go years without taking them out). I understand about the oils drying up when not in use so this seems like a very good reason to keep them running. But running continally also means more wear and tear on all the parts ? ? ? Perhaps install a battery in them every couple of years just to fire them up and get the oils moving, let them run for a while, and then remove the battery and back into storage ? ? ?

With my 6309s I do try to take them out every year and give them a full wind. I should do that NOW :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
@bigbluekyle - interesting question about the wear and tear. I’ve been operating under the assumption that if they’re properly serviced and the movement is clean, lubed, etc., there’s little wear - though I’m more often wrong than right! It’s a pretty tough movement on the train side of thing after all.

·
Registered
647 Posts
7548 fan here as well.

Ever since I got a 7548-700C with a serial that matched my birth month and year, I've been lucky enough to find a -700B, -7000, and another -700C with my birth month and year serial.
My admiration isn't limited matching birth month and year serial, I also have a 7548 SQ.
Three of my 7548s also have their model-designated Seiko Z199 bracelets.

I may need to change their batteries soon, just waiting for the EOL indicator to show up.

Sent from my SM-N980F using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
3,235 Posts
Three of my 7548s also have their model-designated Seiko Z199 bracelets.

WoW . . . Beauties All of Them :)

7548s always looks so right on a Z199 Bracelet but equally stunning on a Diver Strap. I have a question about the original Z199 Bracelets. As the bracelets are marked SQ on the clasp I have always believed the Z199 bracelets were only offered on the International Market 7548s (SQ on the Dial) and not originally installed or used with the JDM 7548s (No SQ on the Dial).

Perhaps not correct but I have my JDM 7548s on original Z199s :)

·
Registered
647 Posts

7548s always looks so right on a Z199 Bracelet but equally stunning on a Diver Strap. I have a question about the original Z199 Bracelets. As the bracelets are marked SQ on the clasp I have always believed the Z199 bracelets were only offered on the International Market 7548s (SQ on the Dial) and not originally installed or used with the JDM 7548s (No SQ on the Dial).

That's the info I read somewhere too.
And same as you, my JDM 7548s are on Z199.
I have GL831 rubber straps as well, but I'm not too confident in wearing them as they're stiff already.

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts

Per Seiko Oceania, the "J2" JDM variants did indeed come on Z199s in black and blue dial variants. (Excuse the word 'brown' it happens on their web site sometimes, it's black as we all know).

Per the Seiko USA parts web site, the Z199 came on the black dial -7009 only. I never put full faith in those reference sources for the vintage peices but this is what they give us.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Per Seiko Oceania, the "J2" JDM variants did indeed come on Z199s in black and blue dial variants. (Excuse the word 'brown' it happens on their web site sometimes, it's black as we all know).
View attachment 465796

Per the Seiko USA parts web site, the Z199 came on the black dial -7009 only. I never put full faith in those reference sources for the vintage peices but this is what they give us.
I also have the Oceania parts database bookmarked in my browser. Can you share the Seiko USA parts database, Jon?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts