The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my most recent arrivals was a Seiko 7548-7000 that had a twitching second hand and signs of neglect.

Stripping it down and removing the dial and hands started to reveal the problem. A hard white substance (battery leakage):

which looked even worse on the underside of the date dial:

Surprisingly the rest of the setting mechanism was clean (ish). Not so the the circuit and CMOS IC:

Still, given the hand was twitching meant there was life in the coil and circuit and that's a good sign.

Lifting the third wheel bridge revealed more battery damage:

and lifting the center wheel bridge revealed this:

Having fully stripped everything, I set about cleaning things up. Most parts went into the ultrasonic cleaner.

and I then brushed the tarnished wheels with a glass fibre pen:

and put the third wheel bridge back on:

and then cleaned up the circuit block (using the glass fibre pen):

circuit side fully assembled:

then over to the setting mechanism side:

and a new date dial (thanks Merritt):

then the dial and seconds hand:

and we have life:

I'm waiting on a new crystal and in the meantime I'm going to cleanup and re-lume the hands and have a think about the dial lume .......

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
That was a good Effort ...

Well accomplished and looking good. You have a excellent project going there and to appears to be almost done. Its amazing when one takes to hand a mess and turns it around and get a lot of results. There you have
the evidence of what "Effort " is all about.
Its getting to the point of no return and soon there will be another rescued watch looking good like the day it was made.
You project will soon be used and when you look at it you will actually see the results of when one takes to hand some thing that was neglected.
Its getting there very soon, and we are all waiting its grand appearance
again.
Well done Sir and please don't forget those final picture of the watch to be shown to all watching it.
Excellent work and congratulations Sir.
Aloha

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Fantastic!

No way could I ever do that. My clumsy fingers would have bits and pieces scattered everywhere. :banghead:
Your photos are :great: and it's so pleasing to see this SEIKO come back to life.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
excellent work...i will be needing to do that to mine very soon...thank you for sharing info too..

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
great work, ace photos, really enjoyed your write-up

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
very informative....just like your other threads...great work

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the original hands are badly tarnished just like another of my 7548's.

I would like to find a way of re-plating them. Until then I have three options:

1 - keep them as-is and just relume them (I might try this just to see what they look like)

2 - paint them (like 7C43 hands, I've already done this and like the look a lot)

3 - use aftermarket hands or SKX007 hands

To allow me to check timekeeping, and just to see how it looks fully built (but not yet finished) I went for option 3

I have a new crystal on order - update to follow when this arrives.

I also realised that the old lume on the dial will pick off and if done really carefully will allow new lume to be applied.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Great work sir. I'm so pleased that your circuit was still working after what it had been through. I don't know where I'd be without my fibre glass scratch brush so always nice to see another devotee!

Another option for the hands would be to airbrush them with a metal lacquer called alclad. They have a variety of metals and once sprayed are stunning.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Great work sir. I'm so pleased that your circuit was still working after what it had been through. I don't know where I'd be without my fibre glass scratch brush so always nice to see another devotee!

Another option for the hands would be to airbrush them with a metal lacquer called alclad. They have a variety of metals and once sprayed are stunning.
Now that's a handy tip. Those lacquers look spot on. Thank you!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have also used skx007 hands in the past due to the og hands being to deteriorated.

Great work and thanks for posting the tutorial also.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
incredible work...love the info....inspires me...thank you...John

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
hey ..can u clarify something..just so i am clear...7548 hands are lumed and 7c43 are painted?...thanks again John

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think (from my limited experience) that 7548 hands are chrome plated (or at least plated) and lumed.

7C43 hands are painted and lumed.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a quick look at a UK based site that sells alclad - it said that it was only suitable for spraying, and I don't have an airbrush :-(

I'd love to see some pictures from someone who has used alclad on hands ......

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I had a quick look at a UK based site that sells alclad - it said that it was only suitable for spraying, and I don't have an airbrush :-(

I'd love to see some pictures from someone who has used alclad on hands ......

I have a airbrush or three ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts