The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably really obvious but where does the gasket go on the crown stem assembly? I'm assuming it is right at the base of the crown as it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.
I just don't want to loose it inside there if it doesn't go.
It is a tricky fit too. I'm assuming you split the stem off and stick the gasket in over the crown and male stem then pop the spring followed by the female stem to complete?
Or do you leave the stem and crown complete and slide the gasket over and somehow squish it inside the lip of the crown.... Arrrghghhh

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Remove the complete stem and then remove the old gasket from inside the crown. Then re-fit the bottom part of the stem to the crown before fitting new gasket. Having the stem in place stops the gasket from flipping over as you try to get it into place. Its not easy fitting the new gasket and you'll need silicone grease and a very small screwdriver to manipulate it into it's groove, plus good light and magnification always helps. Once you have the gasket in place you can then enjoy the trickiest bit of the process which is reassembling the stem without the spring and washer launching into orbit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers. I thought that was it but didn't want to jam the gasket into the crown if I had to get it out again.
I've never actually had a 6309 or 7548 with a gasket in so I haven't been able to see its position.
Thanks again.
Cam

·
Registered
182 Posts
Be careful while doing this. Do not use a sharp object while placing the new o-ring in the crown and it is very easy to damage it. Good luck!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nailed it! Thanks for the photos. I didn't realize the original o ring was still in place if it wasn't for the photo.
Will get it pressure tested this week.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Seriously. People have done this successfully?

I am about to kill someone! I can not get this gasket into the slot at all. It kinks at 12 and 6 o'clock and I think it's on the ledge at 3 and 9.. I then try and slowly force each end inwards but when the gasket pushes down past the groove or another end pops out.

I can't seem to force the gasket into the, what looks like half the size of the gasket, slot at all.

Please someone help. I've read that link but this is the hardest bit and it isn't really made clear.

Should I try and remove all silicone and try it dry or apply more silicone so that it spine easier to find the slot and its natural shape?

Wow. The most frustrating last two hours of my life! :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you 1000% sure there is no gasket in there. That took me about 6hrs to figure out. You've inspired me to attempt this on a not yet finished 7548

·
Administrator
30,124 Posts
You really need to make sure you have the correct gasket Guy :)

I always dip the new gasket in silicone before I attempt it, i've found it to be one of those jobs that can take 5 seconds or I end up leaving it after 15 mins of frustration and do it another day :)

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Yup that's my thoughts. Although I gave it two hours. Oh and about 5 rollies.

Stefan sent me the gasket fairly sure it's correct. Anyway Bry has assigned himself up for the misery of this process. I'll ask him for a gasket spare so I can practice.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Are you 1000% sure there is no gasket in there. That took me about 6hrs to figure out. You've inspired me to attempt this on a not yet finished 7548

200000 million percent cam. It was a NOS Crown from Harold. Inspecting it I can see the lip and empty groove that's probably half the width of the gasket.. Well ya know what I mean... It looks tight... I can't do it.

Maybe gasket could be slightly smaller or I'm just crap.... :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I probably skim read that vital piece of info.
I remember having to find the right tool to slide it evenly. It may have been 2 toothpicks. My gaskets were from mountpo merchant or whatever that sellers name is.
"You can do it"

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Sorry I probably skim read that vital piece of info.
I remember having to find the right tool to slide it evenly. It may have been 2 toothpicks. My gaskets were from mountpo merchant or whatever that sellers name is.
"You can do it"

Nah I didn't mention the crown so you were right to ask. I think the OP of this thread made that mistake.

I tried to layer it over the rim of the crown and then hold the gasket with a toothpick whilst forcing the opposite side to tuck into the groove whilst making sure it was just sitting on the lip. No matter how I pushed and aimed to fit it it just wouldn't go.

Bosini I'm gonna have to dry it out and see if lack of grease will be beneficial. I did try it first like that and then decided I wonder if lubrication will work..

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I tried this for hours and hours and in the end I took the crown apart, its the only way to do it in my opinion.

·
Registered
26,047 Posts
I tried this for hours and hours and in the end I took the crown apart, its the only way to do it in my opinion.
Mike, That is the way...How do you secure the crown plate (for lack of better) back in place ? Do you mark the dial/plate as to put it back as it was ? Sorry to bother you with these trivial details :cool:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Fitting the crown gasket is possibly the most surprisingly difficult trivial task.
I want to think that a special spreader tools exists, but I've never seen it.
Perhaps done with three passes of a thread in it and an able movement pulling them aside.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Just to say apologies camrok.. You were the OP of this thread!

My comment to you earlier regarding what the OP had missed with the gasket already in the old crown.

And yes I was trying to think of ways to do it. Tube type tool with a cone that would roll the gasket downwards into crown. No idea how that would work but I imagined.some sort of ledge at about the same inner diameter of the crown and another ledge above where it mark a point of depth to match the depth of the groove. Spinning the tube at that point would keep the gasket in shape and maybe allow it to snap into the slot.

Other was to stick a washer the thickness of the inner diameter onto a pin to use it as a seat for the gasket so it can't be forced any further down into the crown. Would have to be slightly smaller than the inner diameter of the gasket once in the groove. Basically another kind of crown male stem to allow the gasket to stay near the top..

If I was skilled I'd want to machine the first idea.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts