The Watch Site banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this cool 1976 diver 2205-0760 a while back for my 9 year old daughter. Overall the condition was pretty decent....even the lume is relatively bright. Infact I don't think it had been open before judging by how clean the movement is. I disassembled the case, scrubbed away the 40 years of DNA, resisted the urge to refinish the surfaces and inserted a new crystal (from Thialand....only one I could find). I couldn't find gaskets so I reused the originals which were in remarkably good shape.

Unable to find a strap small enough for her little wrist that complemented the diver I decided to have a crack at making one myself from leather. It's a little rough, but for my first pass I think it came out ok and works well for the watch. Infact I keep staring at it on her wrist thinking ''Damn if it were a little bigger, I might rock that combo!''

The watch is kinda interesting in that it has both automatic AND manual winding....I wish my other vintage Seikos had that feature!

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Comparison to a quarter to give you an idea of it's size;
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

On the wrist and hard at work;
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Daughter Daddy shot;
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Cheers

·
Registered
29,101 Posts
Superb :) Looks Great on her wrist...I wish those divers were 40mm.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Looking at these pictures makes me think of what I have done before - giving those vintage Seiko divers to my daughters. Except that, there are two differences - one difference is the divers - mine are 2625's, not 2205. The second difference is - well, they did not like the watches.

I took some photos during the time they were asked to wear them. One is like this:

Strap looks great! It surely gives some special meaning to the watch.

Congratulations!

Vincent

·
Registered
663 Posts
That watch looks fantastic! The watch itself looks great, is just the right size for a child, girl or boy, and it's a great first vintage watch for anyone.

But what really caught my eye is that strap - it looks professionally made! If this is your first strap, you should consider making leather straps as a sideline. If you're not familiar with the allure that leather straps have, you should check out a few over on HF (the Homage Forum) - and see how much they go for! This one, IMHO, is right up there with the best of them. Congrats! And I hope your daughter gets many years of great memories with that watch.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That watch looks fantastic! The watch itself looks great, is just the right size for a child, girl or boy, and it's a great first vintage watch for anyone.

But what really caught my eye is that strap - it looks professionally made! If this is your first strap, you should consider making leather straps as a sideline. If you're not familiar with the allure that leather straps have, you should check out a few over on HF (the Homage Forum) - and see how much they go for! This one, IMHO, is right up there with the best of them. Congrats! And I hope your daughter gets many years of great memories with that watch.
Hey thanks for your kind words! It is my first attempt at strap making and despite being a little rough I think it complements the watch well....better than I had anticipated to be honest. I learned a lot and hopefully the next one will be better but at the snails pace that I work I would go broke if I started making them as a business. But hey, ya never know...if I lose my day job....:eek:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Your daughter must be very happy with a dad who's got such great taste :grin:

:cool2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts