The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this cool 1976 diver 2205-0760 a while back for my 9 year old daughter. Overall the condition was pretty decent....even the lume is relatively bright. Infact I don't think it had been open before judging by how clean the movement is. I disassembled the case, scrubbed away the 40 years of DNA, resisted the urge to refinish the surfaces and inserted a new crystal (from Thialand....only one I could find). I couldn't find gaskets so I reused the originals which were in remarkably good shape.

Unable to find a strap small enough for her little wrist that complemented the diver I decided to have a crack at making one myself from leather. It's a little rough, but for my first pass I think it came out ok and works well for the watch. Infact I keep staring at it on her wrist thinking ''Damn if it were a little bigger, I might rock that combo!''

The watch is kinda interesting in that it has both automatic AND manual winding....I wish my other vintage Seikos had that feature!

IMG_6904.jpg

Comparison to a quarter to give you an idea of it's size;
IMG_6905.jpg

IMG_6906.jpg

On the wrist and hard at work;
IMG_6899.jpg

Daughter Daddy shot;
IMG_6907.jpg

Cheers

·
Special Member
27,731 Posts
Superb :) Looks Great on her wrist...I wish those divers were 40mm.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Looking at these pictures makes me think of what I have done before - giving those vintage Seiko divers to my daughters. Except that, there are two differences - one difference is the divers - mine are 2625's, not 2205. The second difference is - well, they did not like the watches.

I took some photos during the time they were asked to wear them. One is like this:

Strap looks great! It surely gives some special meaning to the watch.

Congratulations!

Vincent

·
Registered
663 Posts
That watch looks fantastic! The watch itself looks great, is just the right size for a child, girl or boy, and it's a great first vintage watch for anyone.

But what really caught my eye is that strap - it looks professionally made! If this is your first strap, you should consider making leather straps as a sideline. If you're not familiar with the allure that leather straps have, you should check out a few over on HF (the Homage Forum) - and see how much they go for! This one, IMHO, is right up there with the best of them. Congrats! And I hope your daughter gets many years of great memories with that watch.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That watch looks fantastic! The watch itself looks great, is just the right size for a child, girl or boy, and it's a great first vintage watch for anyone.

But what really caught my eye is that strap - it looks professionally made! If this is your first strap, you should consider making leather straps as a sideline. If you're not familiar with the allure that leather straps have, you should check out a few over on HF (the Homage Forum) - and see how much they go for! This one, IMHO, is right up there with the best of them. Congrats! And I hope your daughter gets many years of great memories with that watch.
Hey thanks for your kind words! It is my first attempt at strap making and despite being a little rough I think it complements the watch well....better than I had anticipated to be honest. I learned a lot and hopefully the next one will be better but at the snails pace that I work I would go broke if I started making them as a business. But hey, ya never know...if I lose my day job....:eek:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Your daughter must be very happy with a dad who's got such great taste :grin:

:cool2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts