The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. Yesterday I took delivery of a 1982 (or 1992—who knows?) Seiko 5 with 7009A movement, which I had ordered quite a while back on eBay.

It was cheap, I like its looks, and it's keeping time. The bracelet's a fake ("Seiko Japan"), but the watch itself looks correct. The stem pulls out to its various positions, so I can set the time and the date. Pushing in the crown advances the day as it should, though it's a bit stiff and takes a fair bit of effort. All okay, so far. But here's the issue: The stem won't go all the way in. (Or perhaps it's better to say that the crown doesn't nest properly in the recess of the case?) Either way, you can see the problem in the photos. (The first two are the eBay pictures. I had just assumed they'd been taken with the stem pulled out, but that's actually as far in as it goes.)

When I push the crown to advance the day, it seems to be in about the correct position that it's supposed to be in all the time, but of course when I release it, it comes right back out. As it is now, the movement isn't secured (I can grab the stem and move the movement around a bit in the case), and the watch sure isn't water resistant (or anything resistant).

I tried removing the stem then reinserting it (which is about as far as my current technical expertise will take me), but that didn't fix the problem. Is it possible that someone has simply taken a longer stem and replaced the original one in this watch?

Any other ideas what might be the issue here, and how to go about fixing it?

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Either its not going all the way into the crown (doubtful) or more likely they replaced the stem and didn't trust themselves to trim it to correct length.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either its not going all the way into the crown (doubtful) or more likely they replaced the stem and didn't trust themselves to trim it to correct length.
(Minding that I really have no experience at watch repair) is there anything not-too-risky I can try, then?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great video. In following along, I think I've found the problem. It seems the stem is probably original, but when I removed the crown, I found that most of the threaded part of the stem was broken off or removed, leaving only enough of a nub to screw into the crown. It appears that someone replaced the crown with one with a longer shaft - too long for it to sit against the case when in place. As I say, this appears to be the issue, as I've never had a close-up look at any of these parts before. So now I'll need to find a correct crown and (probably a stem). I've looked on eBay and there are a few available, but they're all gold crowns and I need silver. Oh well... I'll just have to keep an eye out.

Thank you rob3rto! I wouldn't have found the problem without your help.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Now that I've d/l your pics I think it is the wrong crown.
See if schillachi61 has any on ebay.
The number on your caseback (if it the original one) 7009-600? (Blurred) will tell you if it is the right one. Otherwise drop him a line.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
It takes the 40ML5NS1 crown which is no easy crown to find.

Good luck. I agree ask Stefan (schillachi61 on ebay) or PM me and I can PM you his direct email address.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Thanks! I really appreciate all the help!
Just make sure the model # is correct. Just cos it says on the caseback doesn't mean that its the right one as a lot are interchangeable.
I have a 6309-523a that came with the wrong one and I almost started ordering the wrong parts.
Try doing a google image search to check
or put the model here:

service.seiko.com.au/pls/seiko/f?p=104:20:1684800113864752::NO:RP,20::

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, grammar and rob3rto! You have been really helpful. Thanks for taking the time and effort, and for the resource suggestions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Theres also this place....They list a compatible one on their catalogue if all else fails.
Hmmm... I must be doing something wrong. Can't find any watch parts of any kind on their site. Are those listed in their catalog only?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts