The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed that this watch had a very poor reserve (7-8 hours), and started keeping poor time. Figured it needed a cleaning. Disassembled, put back together, and...same result. OK, hadn't touched the mainspring. Took it apart again, recleaned, including mainspring, and...same result. OK, next time replaced the whole barrel and mainspring. Same thing.
FINALLY figured out that the problem was the damn thing wasn't winding. I wound it by hand and it was still going at 40 hours. On closer inspection, the rotor had just a bit of a drag. It spun, but gravity alone wasn't enough to move it. So I figured that was the problem. Tried replacing the rotor, the barrel bridge, the second reduction wheel, all to no avail. Not sure what else could be the problem, haven't run into this before...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would that cause increased rotor resistance or just slippage? Either way, the lever was replaced when I swapped out the bridge.

·
Researcher
5,028 Posts
Are there any signs of wear/rubbing on the barrel upper/lower, indicating wear and tilting?.
When did you experience the rotor being more resistant?, fully wound or unwound?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Check the first reduction wheel jewel in the bridge for wear. This can causes the wheel to give resistance to the rotor if it has play. Also check hole in reduction wheel aligns with balance cock screw and tag on rotor if its 1/2 size. See tech sheet for 1/3 size rotor position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts