The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its not Watchmaking and Tinkering but....

I overhauled a 7002-7000 diver.
I checked it as going well etc before I sent it off to the buyer.
Its come back to me...more than once.

The problem now is that it has a very short power reserve.

I'm a watchmaker & do a good job on these normally so its go me baffled.

I'm thinking its a mainspring problem yet its just as good as the other ones I do.

Ideas welcomed.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Hi Paul,

I have had problems with worn pawl lever and second reduction gears on the 7002. Does not auto wind efficiently thus low power reserve.

Also not 7002 related but I had a sedentary user who's watch had no power reserve and kept stopping. I wore it and it was fine.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Paul,

I have had problems with worn pawl lever and second reduction gears on the 7002. Does not auto wind efficiently thus low power reserve.

Also not 7002 related but I had a sedentary user who's watch had no power reserve and kept stopping. I wore it and it was fine.

Hi Mike.
I've had problems with the pawls (not Paul's!) and reduction/ratchet wheels too. This one has a good wheel and I fitted new pawls.

He's an active guy - surfs etc.

I've just had it on my winder overnight. I took it off (it should've gone at least all day) and it stopped at about 9.30 this morning.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi Mike.
... and it stopped at about 9.30 this morning.
Paul, there must be another mechanical problem when it sops very early.
Btw, the inside condition of the mainspring barrel is also important, sometimes for me it was necessary to polish the inner parts of the barrel to get a good amplitude and power reserve > 40 hours.
Best regards from France, Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I agree with Peter.

A quick way to check your mainspring/barrel (for the non watchmakers) is to remove the balance and anchor and see if the escape wheel spins freely and consistently while unwinding and kicks back when fully unwound.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paul, there must be another mechanical problem when it sops very early.
Btw, the inside condition of the mainspring barrel is also important, sometimes for me it was necessary to polish the inner parts of the barrel to get a good amplitude and power reserve > 40 hours.
Best regards from France, Peter

Thanks Peter.
That's a good thought but I always clean out barrels with my scratch brush (fibreglass sort) etc to make sure they're totally clean etc before I put them through my cleaning machine. The amplitude is ok.
It goes well when its going....just not for too long:undecided:

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with Peter.

A quick way to check your mainspring/barrel (for the non watchmakers) is to remove the balance and anchor and see if the escape wheel spins freely and consistently while unwinding and kicks back when fully unwound.

It has a little recoil (in horror?!) - arguably more than other 7002s I do - generally they don't seem to do it like a 6309 does.
As above amplitude on my Timegrapher is ok.

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
How long will it run for if you manually wind it via the screw on the ratchet wheel?
If it has a good reserve when manually wound the problem is with the auto wind.
Teaching granny to suck eggs here, but have you aligned the rotor correctly I.E set the hole in the first reduction gear to align with the balance cock locating stud and then fit the rotor so the little lug at its end aligns with the stud as well.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Wow , a lot of good information here . I had a similar problem on a 6209 and found that one of the pawl levers was sitting on top of the reduction wheel and not to the side so it would not wind properly in my winder .
Ivorbiggin's suggestions are basic but often over looked by me in anticipation to get a watch back together and see it running .
I'm looking forward to your conclusion....Aloha , Louis

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've fixed it:grin: Finally:undecided:

The ratchet wheel had slightly worn teeth.
It would auto wind until there was a certain amount of pressure from the mainspring and then the pawl teeth would slip on the ratchet wheel teeth:eek:hmy: and so wind no more - hence little power reserve.

I had it on my winder over night and now its still going on my desk beside me:)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Congrats :13:
Never seen before but at now I will carefully inspect any Seiko ratchet wheel ...
Thanks for participate your solution!!!
Best regards, Peter

·
Super Moderator
3,016 Posts
Congrats :13:
Never seen before but at now I will carefully inspect any Seiko ratchet wheel ...
I think he means second reduction wheel (#514002), the wheel next to the ratchet wheel (3285013) and which the pawl lever fingers grab and move. Right, Paul?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts