The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having difficulty locating click ball and spring for 1980's 7002. Have got a 1mm ball bearing (is this the correct size to use?) and 'adapted' a spring bar, as suggested on some forums, but just not working as well as i would like it to.
anybody know of best place to locate correct spring?

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
Yes 1mm dia ball bearing is the correct size, and a trimmed down spring from the inside of an old spring bar usually does the trick. Make sure you have the finished end of the spring at the top so the ball bearing sits nicely and the cut end at the bottom of the hole
Sometimes the original has been repaired with a sleeve insert put into the hole in which case you might encounter problems. Pics of your 7002 might help, and what is it you dont like about it?
What 7002 is it?
Gen 2 7002's use a spring ring, same as the later SKX range.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Is the bezel click to tight or to loose? Knowing the specific problem would help direct you to the correct solution. The spring from a spring bar is the best solution. I prefer to use the tube also even if I have to open up the whole in the case a bit. This is not something that is watch repair 101 though. It does take a some talent to do it correctly.
Almost every single early 7002 case I have restored has needed this surgery. The original case spring and check balls were all made of steel. Exposed and unprotected from the environment. Many just rotted away.

Michael.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for both of these replies. the bezel turns fairly well, with 'click' for about half a turn then becomes stiffer....serial number dates it to july 84
maybe i will have another go with spring bar.....

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
The 7002 range was introduced in 1988 and ran until 1996, so its not a 1984 but a 1994 model.
Check the indents on the underside of the bezel and make sure they are clean and not deformed, check the gasket it clean, in one piece and pliable. also check for dirt or pitting on the case especially where the gasket fits to the case.
Dont forget to lube the gasket with a drop of silicon grease.
Also check that the bezel is perfectly round.
Pics would be really helpfull

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks John,
will have a go like this. if its still not too good will send some pics.
cheers!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts