The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having searched the web, all I can find is nobody can get hold of an OEM gasket and a 6309 gasket is of no use.

Is anybody using a genetic gasket from Cousins or similar with decent results? I don't need the original 150m water resistance, but enough to snorkel in it would be nice.

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
Your asking for Rocking horse manure.

Your only option is to use the old one, and get the watch pressure tested afterwards.

Ivor

·
Registered
171 Posts
From a post I made some time ago:

"My latest attempt at replacing a crystal on a 7002 went horribly wrong resulting in a badly knackered nylon gasket, which are now rarer than hens teeth. Right, lets try something different.
First attempt. Obtain a 7S26 gasket. This is 0.5mm smaller than the original but if you carefully stretch it should work, fits nice, press the crystal in…… ARRRGH! I broke the crystal.
Second attempt. Obtain a 7S26 crystal (Seiko part no. 315P15HN02) and a Sternkreuz L325 gasket. If my calculations are correct it might work.
Happy to report that it fits like a glove, nice & tight but easier to seat than the normal set up. I can’t confirm if this is watertight as I don’t have the test equipment & my diving days are far behind me now. The end result looks much the same and also opens up the possibility of using 7S26 sapphire crystals, which are easier to obtain than 7002’s."

....and I still wear the watch.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's useful to know, does the 7S26 Crystal look drastically different to the original 7002 crystal at all?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems barely noticeable there. I'll give that a go, probably won't have time to get it pressure tested before I go abroad though so that's that plan gone!

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's the one. Only one difference is that the original gasket is black and the Sternkreuz is translucent but it doesn't notice in the finished item.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
From another point of view;
I do up and sell 7002 divers.
Instead of trying to get the beveled 3mm glasses I use 2.5mm ones without bevels. They look fine:)

To seal them in I use a two pot waterproof sealer. I pressure test every one and they've all be fine and no complaints from people who've had them for years now and swim/dive in them :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's a bit too messy for my liking, I think I'll just go with the alternative option.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
It's a bit too messy for my liking, I think I'll just go with the alternative option.

How do you know its "a bit too messy" if you've never used it to seal a glass?

Try munting a seal that's meant for a different model when you've only got one of them :undecided:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts