The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post, I hope it is in the right section.

Quick intro - "Hi, how are you? I have a very small collection of watches, some work, some not. Some Japanese, some French, and some others".

I recently bought a 7002-7001 which is a jdm from what I have researched. I bought this "blind" on ebay, found it with only a few minutes to go, it had a poor description, title and one dark pic.

It arrived, I had a look at it, and then hit the 'net. Now I have questions:

1. Movement is marked as "Singapore". I have come across pics of other 7002 jdm dive watches with the exact same movement. This might be a really silly question, but did some jdm have Singapore movements? It seems strange to see a few the same, when previous "repairers" could have fitted other movements...?

2. Why is a 7002 sometimes regarded as poor quality compared to others? I have read "stamped parts" instead of "machined parts" and also "plastic parts" - WHAT parts are these?

3. Following on from #2 - If I was to repair THIS movement, would there be any parts recommended I change to improve reliability etc?

4. The dial is not attached to the movement at all - it just flops around. Is it common for the legs to break off? OR - could it just be that the previous owner was a little rough reassembling the watch to sell it?

5. Is the watch "real"?

I usually stay away from Seiko diver's as there seems to be too much uncertainty with them. I understand that they are popular, and this pushes up demand, resulting in some questionable "supply".

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
From what I can see the dial is Aftermarket (Am), see the cut out at 12 o clock?. Not sure about the hands, but I'd say they are AM as well if the dial is. As for the movement, it doesn't look like the movement that's in my 7002 700J, parts are missing (obviously) and they are able to be sourced. Seikochrono on here has them for sale. Hope this helps.
Regards, David

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Welcome to the Forum,
The dial looks to be AM, the minute hand appears to be fitted upside down, not sure if the hands are AM or not.The balance assy is missing.
All the 7002 7001's ive come across have Singapore movements in, there are supposed to be "rare" Japan 7002 movements but ive not seen one.
Sometimes 7009 mainplates without the SIN marking stamped in the balance well are used, and with unwritten train bridges are passed off as Japan 7002 movements,
The balance assembly is missing?

If you want to improve reliability drop in a 7019 21j movement and use a mainspring and barrel from a 7s26. The 7002 is quite a reliable and and has only one less plastic part in the movement itself which is the intermediate wheel between the hour wheel and date wheel, Thats one less plastic part than the 6309 that preceded it.
Its considered inferior to the 6309 because it has a smaller less stable balance wheel and an inferior auto wind mechanism.
Its not common for the dial feet to break off unless the dial is very frail, the dial on yours looks newish so i would suggest a ham fisted tinkerer has been at work, especially as th balance assy is missing.
If by "Is the watch real" you mean is it a genuine Seiko, then yes the majority of it is, but thats not to say its not a franken Seiko, I.E made from parts from other Seiko's

If it was mine id be repairing it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks David.

So the little notch on the dial indicates it is non genuine?? I know nothing about replacement dive dials. I did a quick search but could not find much info - mostly debates about genuine vs aftermarket.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the Forum,
The dial looks to be AM, the minute hand appears to be fitted upside down, not sure if the hands are AM or not.The balance assy is missing.
All the 7002 7001's ive come across have Singapore movements in, there are supposed to be "rare" Japan 7002 movements but ive not seen one.
Sometimes 7009 mainplates without the SIN marking stamped in the balance well are used, and with unwritten train bridges are passed off as Japan 7002 movements,
The balance assembly is missing?

If you want to improve reliability drop in a 7019 21j movement and use a mainspring and barrel from a 7s26. The 7002 is quite a reliable and and has only one less plastic part in the movement itself which is the intermediate wheel between the hour wheel and date wheel, Thats one less plastic part than the 6309 that preceded it.
Its considered inferior to the 6309 because it has a smaller less stable balance wheel and an inferior auto wind mechanism.
Its not common for the dial feet to break off unless the dial is very frail, the dial on yours looks newish so i would suggest a ham fisted tinkerer has been at work, especially as th balance assy is missing.
If by "Is the watch real" you mean is it a genuine Seiko, then yes the majority of it is, but thats not to say its not a franken Seiko, I.E made from parts from other Seiko's

If it was mine id be repairing it.
Thank you for the detailed response.

I do have the crown and balance assembly (forgot to include in the pic) - it was sold as broken balance, and arrived with crown and balance not fitted. I figured the previous owner pulled it apart (seeing as crown and balance were not fitted) and then quickly threw it together to sell it - which is why I questioned the dial feet.

You have answered one of the important questions, re the Singapore movement in the -7001. Kind of makes me want to repair the original movement, rather than fitting a completely different model though.

Would it be fair to say that the case, back and movement are all correct for a 7002-7001, and it has had replacement dial and hands fitted? If so, I can live with that.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
"Would it be fair to say that the case, back and movement are all correct for a 7002-7001, and it has had replacement dial and hands fitted? If so, I can live with that."

Yes that sounds about right.
Any 70xx balance assy will fit the 7002.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The 7019 won't work in there, not if you want to use the quickset date anyways. And I think the crown position is different, if I'm not mistaken the 7002 shares the 4 O'clock crown with the 6XXX series, while the 7019 has the 3:20 that the modern 7SXX series has.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have had a bit more looking around online and have decided to definitely keep the 7002A movement. There is even a three part vid on youtube of one.

·
Researcher
5,031 Posts
The 7019, 7002 and 7s26a all use the same barrel and mainspring part number, so did early 7s26B's/NH26.
The 7019 is based on the 7002 - so it's more likely that it's (7009) differing holding ring, day date disc and dial feet make up the positional variation of the crown/stem, rather than the main plate.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Now when the minute hand is fitted upsidedown you have to worry about who put that thing togethether....and what else they did to it.

Welcome to the forum! Jumping in at the deep end is the best way to get going. Enjoy your dive, the guys here have bucket loads of knowledge, you'll have yourself a great watch from that I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
The 7019 won't work in there, not if you want to use the quickset date anyways. And I think the crown position is different, if I'm not mistaken the 7002 shares the 4 O'clock crown with the 6XXX series, while the 7019 has the 3:20 that the modern 7SXX series has.
The 7019 date quickset works in the same way as the 7002, pull crown out 1 click and rotate, As the 7002 dial has no day complication you simply remove the day wheel and quickset components from the 7019.
Swapping over the 7019 date wheel for the 7002 date wheel gets around the crown position. You can then use a 7002 dial or by removing the dial feet and either re position them, or using dial stickers or glue, fit any other date only dial of the right size
The 7019 is 0.05mm thinner than the 7002.

My 7002 TST modded case with 7019 movement fitted, and a 7s26 exhibition caseback, Yobokies pmmm 7s26 dial (dial feet removed)

PMMM3.jpg

tst6a.jpg

·
Registered
514 Posts
The 7019 date quickset works in the same way as the 7002, pull crown out 1 click and rotate, As the 7002 dial has no day complication you simply remove the day wheel and quickset components from the 7019.
Swapping over the 7019 date wheel for the 7002 date wheel gets around the crown position. You can then use a 7002 dial or by removing the dial feet and either re position them, or using dial stickers or glue, fit any other date only dial of the right size
The 7019 is 0.05mm thinner than the 7002.

My 7002 TST modded case with 7019 movement fitted, and a 7s26 exhibition caseback, Yobokies pmmm 7s26 dial (dial feet removed)
Huh, I never thought about it that way before. That gives me some crazy ideas of my own. :bowing:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts