The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up this nice but defunkt orange dial mid-size diver on a whim. I got it for a good price as a 'spares and repair' sale, so I was happy with the risk I was taking.

The reason for its current state is clearly down to a battery leak. The plastic battery shield has a hole in it and the backplate is 'scorched'. Other than that, it appears on face value to have been spared much additional damage. There's some gunk/corosion on the main gear beneath the battery which appears to be stopping it from rotating. I'm hoping that the circuit board has been spared (the coil looks fine) and a cleanup will get it back into working order.

Does anyone have any experience with this model - and even better, has the technical documenation? I don't have much experience with quartz movements and I'm a little scared about tearing it down.

Thaks in advance

·
Registered
968 Posts
That main gear you see is the date ring. Does the date and day wheel turn ok when you pull out the crown to the first setting and turn.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the day/date is stuck and doesn't change via the crown, so I suspected that would be the cause.

·
Registered
968 Posts
That main gear you see is the date ring. Does the date and day wheel turn ok when you pull out the crown to the first setting and turn.
I see its a 6458 movement. I use a glass fiber pen as my main weapon of choice when I clean up battery leaks. Making sure you use a blower to clean up afterwards. Similar to the 7c43 ,these are a bit fiddly to work on , resetting the train bridge is a pain sometimes. But looking at yours it does'nt seem to bad. I would take off the bridge on the rhs and the coil screws and have a look and see. I wouldnt take of the main train bridge unless you feel real confident about doing so.
Cheers Tony

·
Registered
968 Posts
Ok just seen your reply. Maybe have a go at cleaning what you can see in your photo. Bottom line may be a strip down of the calendar works to see what needs attention.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'll order a glass fiber pen and see how much cleanup I can do without getting too deep into disassembly. Once the date wheel is free I'll hopefully be able to see any other issues that remain.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Sounds like a plan, the 2 cover plates/ bridges I mention should be no problem to remove and replace and see whats going on. Leave the main bridge .

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
You really need to remove the hands and dial and strip the calendar works before doing anything else. Any other attempt to free up the day and date from the back will almost certainly result in more damage.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
I recently resurrected one of these using the circuit board from an inexpensive 6433 parts watch. The two movements share many parts, even the thin, red, plastic battery shield. I was able to find a schematic for the 6433, but have never seen one for the 6458.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Good one, also 7548 shares most parts with a 7546. Easy to pickup than a 7548 as a donor. Coil, circuit board, calendar works all exchange no problem. Think coil is slightly less rated but still good to use.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. Sounds like a bit of disassembly is the only way foward.

Great info about compatibility with the 6433 movement. I'll see what I can find.

Cheers - wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I recently resurrected one of these using the circuit board from an inexpensive 6433 parts watch. The two movements share many parts, even the thin, red, plastic battery shield. I was able to find a schematic for the 6433, but have never seen one for the 6458.
I think the 6433 only came with a 3 o'clock crown so day and date wheels are not suitable for a 6458....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the 6433 only came with a 3 o'clock crown so day and date wheels are not suitable for a 6458....
I've found an image of the 6433 movement. It appears that the stem comes out of the movement in the same place as the 6458, but the whole movement is titled toward 4 o'clock on the 6458. Hopefully should be compatible.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I've found an image of the 6433 movement. It appears that the stem comes out of the movement in the same place as the 6458, but the whole movement is titled toward 4 o'clock on the 6458. Hopefully should be compatible.

View attachment 449273
The movement is to all intents and purposes identical, but if the 3 o'clock day and date wheels are used they will not line up with the day/date window on the 6458 dial. If you use a 6433 movement in a 6458 watch you can also swap over the 6548 signed cover plate on the movement.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
In addition to the day/date wheels being different for the 6433, the center wheel and pinion is a different part number, but I don't know what the actual difference is between the two. The hand sizes are the same 110/65/20. I know that the battery contact that connects near the coil is different, because the 6433 takes a thinner battery.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well fingers crossed the date wheel is salvagable then. I've now got a NOS 6433 battery shield and replacement circuit board on the way (just in case - both were pretty cheap and it's alwas nice to have a spare lying around).

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
In addition to the day/date wheels being different for the 6433, the center wheel and pinion is a different part number, but I don't know what the actual difference is between the two. The hand sizes are the same 110/65/20. I know that the battery contact that connects near the coil is different, because the 6433 takes a thinner battery.
Well I have a 6433 movement in a 6458 case, fitted with the 6458 hands so your guess is as good as mine as to what the difference is on the centre wheel....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts