The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this on the bay of E some time ago. The current 'situation' has forced my to visit the 'sad cases' box so time to take a closer look...

First thing to note is that the caseback is for a 6319-521A, although the case and dial do not tally with this.It's really a 6319-8140 that has obviously been 'messed with' before. I'm not too worried about authenticity any more with this one!

It has a 3-faceted glass crystal and a dial that has badly corroded. There is no printing on the dial, although I can see a shadow of the word 'Automatic'. The crystal is badly chipped on the edges, and although I started sanding two of the facets, it was clear that it was going to take an age to remove the chips from the edge - and that I couldn't find the correct-sized replacement L-shaped gasket for a direct crystal replacement

I was determined to 'improve' matters in the dial department, so this was removed, polished, grained and resilvered. I had multiple attempts to retint the dial without destroying the sunburst effect. It took about 5 attempts to get something passable and then I went and scratched it when applying the indices! Sprayed using a Tamiya X23 blue lacquer thined with surgical spirit.

Indices cleaned, relumed and re-applied to the dial

The movement turned out to be a 6319 right enough, but with a 6309 rotor bridge, multiple missing screws and some non-seiko screws. The screw attaching the rotor was too long and had pressed the rotor eccentric out of the rotor and was binding everything.

case cleaned and lightly polished, glass replaced with an acylic crystal, movement rebuilt and returning good numbers. Hands cleaned and relumed. With the exception of the movement screws and a caseback gasket, I re-used all the original parts in this watch

Not concours, but happy to wear this now and enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Indeed! Well-saved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts