The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I’m off from work...and bored out of my bloody mind...figured why not clean up some **** that has been laying around for long time. Not that wifey was tripping on ****!! Yeah, it got that bad!! After totally reconfiguring my home office, (basically moving boxes around. Nothing crazy!) I had bought these couple of years back. Then as things go...chucked the envelope in one of the boxes by my desk. It was a good opportunity and knew these are hard to find. And in hopes of one day using them. If needed. Well...fast forward to now.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So hard to find now, and here you had them. Ruby slippers !

Looks great on the SRP777

Thanks! Amazing the things you find laying around. Just to avoid confusion and I think there may be some already... I didn’t do anything except swap out the SRP stock handset with 6309 handset. That’s the extent of my mod on the SRP. Now, it looks like it belongs in 6309 fleet!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had bought these couple of years back. Then as things go...chucked the envelope in one of the boxes by my desk. It was a good opportunity and knew these are hard to find. And in hopes of one day using them. If needed. Well...fast forward to now.....
Awesome mod. Less is often more and this one is very tasteful.

Out of curiosity, how similar is the lume duration on these hands to the lume on the SRP dial? I ask because my 6309 hands fade quickly and I am surprised by how bright your hands are.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Appreciate the kind words. These were in the envelope in their original packaging since the day I got them. I put them in one the box bins..so no contact with light. This shot is taken seconds ago in the hallway. Brightness matches. As far as long-lasting, I’m sure not as long as the markers, but it can hold its own weight in luminescence. And if I ever come across a 6309 that needs the hands, I know just where to find them.

·
Special Member
4,664 Posts
These are skx173 hands that were offered years back by suppliers like jules borel as 6309 replacements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are skx173 hands that were offered years back by suppliers like jules borel as 6309 replacements.

Ahhh...I see. Learned something new. I did not know. I’ll have to check and see some SKX173. Appreciate the info. Thank you.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Just curious– Wouldn’t these have greenish lume composition vs. almost white like 6309 7xxx ?? I’ll check more closely along side with 6309s I have. Suwa. And non-Suwa. Maybe, they’re what you say they are. Thank you again, my friend.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are series of my 6309s. Mix vintages from 77 to ‘83 (non-Suwa). If anyone else sees anything different please point out. In question is modding of SRP777 w/ which I believe to genuine 6309 7xxx handset. But as I don’t know everything and never claimed to know it all. One of the members’ was very kind enough to point out the mistake. I appreciate that. Thank you. I believe these are 6309 hands. Not SKX173 that Jules Borel sold years back as replacement. More than anything, a learning curve for me.

Please feel free and chime in when you get some free time.

Cheers’

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
The 6309 hands "re-release", with the consensus being that they were produced again with the same product numbers as the original hands back around the late 90s, or more likely mid 2000s, are not strictly the same as actual originals imo. They differ from codes to the SKX173 versions , though, where I believe the 6309 codes likely mean the difference between the lume colour, otherwise they're very similar, if not the same. I've only ever had the 6309 correct codes but you see a different code when it comes to the SKX type. Have you a picture of the original blister packs yours came with?

It's difficult to say, but bear in mind that NOS hands for a 6309 will, I'd imagine, glow and die just as quickly as a mint 6309 from the same time, depending on exposure to light of course. Personally, I don't think I've ever seen actual NOS 6309 hands from say the 70s or 80s (6306 hands etc aswell as early 6309). These new ones glow very brightly and for a considerable time.

I also believe the bevel edge and overall look is slightly different. I don't doubt that they are original Seiko, but I am not 100% on that. I tend to think these, along with a rotating ring with the appropriate product code and larger lume pip, were short production run re-releases relatively recently. The rotating ring for instance has a different machined edge compared to the originals, something more like a 7002 bezel, but with the 6309 bezel / rotating ring product code.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 6309 hands "re-release", with the consensus being that they were produced again with the same product numbers as the original hands back around the late 90s, or more likely mid 2000s, are not strictly the same as actual originals imo. They differ from codes to the SKX173 versions , though, where I believe the 6309 codes likely mean the difference between the lume colour, otherwise they're very similar, if not the same. I've only ever had the 6309 correct codes but you see a different code when it comes to the SKX type. Have you a picture of the original blister packs yours came with?

It's difficult to say, but bear in mind that NOS hands for a 6309 will, I'd imagine, glow and die just as quickly as a mint 6309 from the same time, depending on exposure to light of course. Personally, I don't think I've ever seen actual NOS 6309 hands from say the 70s or 80s (6306 hands etc aswell as early 6309). These new ones glow very brightly and for a considerable time.

I also believe the bevel edge and overall look is slightly different. I don't doubt that they are original Seiko, but I am not 100% on that. I tend to think these, along with a rotating ring with the appropriate product code and larger lume pip, were short production run re-releases relatively recently. The rotating ring for instance has a different machined edge compared to the originals, something more like a 7002 bezel, but with the 6309 bezel / rotating ring product code.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Oops! I hit reply by accident without any content.

I see what you’re saying. Here is the original packaging it came in. Most my watches stay in a drawer so they glow. Even my non-Suwa from ‘83 which is in one of the shots above.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hands look very good on the srp
I have a couple of those sets in same modern sealed packaging, do you have pictures showing the numbers?
I know John had a more than a few of them years ago
Here’s a discussion.
https://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/164402-6309-diver-skx173-hand-interchanability.html

Ahhh...got it! Just read thread. That is interesting. Thanks for pointing it out. On close examination the edges on minute & hour hands are different from 6309. At a quick glance, it is passable. But you know, now...it will bother me. I may change them back! Always good to learn a thing or two thank you, my friend.

·
Premium Member
9,611 Posts
interesting thread ....

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
interesting thread ....
yes, very interesting...i'm curious, i keep my watches in velvet lined wooden trays that i've constructed for the purpose, but they are not light-tight...so if
i leave a tray out on a work table, i can see the watches glowing if i get up in the middle of the night. i am talking about watches that have been re-lumed in the last 5 years or so with modern lume, and also watches that have been
more recently made.

so my question is, am i depleting the luminosity of these watches, bit-by-bit,
or are they good for a very long time? i have been told that modern lume does not degrade, is this true?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts