The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, everyone is always searching for them. My trusty 6309-7040 beater has an aftermarket crown/stem assembly, and thank goodness it decided to come apart while I was resetting it prior to wearing one day instead of under water. The crown threads on the aftermarket crowns are a separate piece of steel that has the threads machined into it, the outside is knurled, and then it is pressed into the crown. When I first received one of these I thought it looked kind of cheesy, but it seemed to work. I now no longer trust them. The original crowns have the threads machined right into the crown, instead a separate pressed-in piece. What happened with my aftermarket crown is that the pressed in piece came loose and now the crown just pops out due to the stem spring, even with the threads fully threaded on to the crown.

I happened to have a good original crown that I used to replace the aftermarket one, so I am back in action. What I did with the aftermarket one was to put some red Loctite on the knurled portion and push it back into the crown. I am not sure how well it will hold up, but I plan on running some test in the near future to see if the threaded insert is securely held in place or if it still slides out. Another option I was thinking of trying was silver soldering the insert in place. That should also work, but I'd have to disassemble the crown because the heat will ruin the o-ring in the crown and probably make the stem come loose.

So, anyone have a source for good aftermarket crowns or some NOS ones somewhere?

andy b.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Hello!

Luka-san sells NOS original crowns for the 6309. I'm sure other members will refer to you some other sources for the OEM ones, as well. Luka is a regular member in here. Run a search on the members list of the forum and send him a PM or email (also through the forum search engine). Good luck!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hi Andy,

On the contrary, it is the original 6309 crown which has separate threaded ring pressed into the crown main body. On the other hand, from my experience, the aftermarket one is a single piece of steel with female thread.

The reason to built the 6309 crown from 2 separate pieces is because it needs an internal groove on which the crown gasket sits. This internal groove is very hard to machine if it is made of 1 piece.

Therefore, I am very sure that the single piece 6309 crown you mentioned is the aftermarket one and probably does not have a proper gasket.

Several months ago I purchased a couple of NOS 6309 crowns complete with gasket from Harold Ng. His username is yobokies. Harold is a very nice guy and should be able to help you.

Regards,
Indera

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you folks are saying the original crowns also had the threaded insert? That is just great. The one in the link posted by Paul looks like the aftermarket one I had that pulled out (mine isn't bead blasted of course). I guess I'll be pulling my other crown back out and checking for the o-ring. I have spares if I need to use one. I also have another one of the threaded-insert crowns if I need to put one of them back on.

Has anyone had good luck with the Jules Borel crowns? I was going to call them Monday to order a few to see what they look like.

andy b.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Don't ever use aftermarket crowns :-\
They are somewhat cheaper, but soner or later you will regret it.
Original NOS crowns are still readily available.

I have seen a couple of them with bad threads, they go on the tube without to much problems but they tend to damage the thread on the casetube.
If your casetube is gone, you case is toast.. :-[

I am not fond of any aftermarket stuff, sometimes there is no other way..but if there is a way GO ORIGINAL.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The 6309 crowns that I have bought from Borel in the past (last one 2-3 yrs. ago) are not aftermarket. They are original Seiko crowns, in Seiko packaging (identical in all ways to the one I got from COSERV about 5 yrs. ago.)

paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts