The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a bargain 6309 off a local guy, looked fine under my bad eye sight, but on returning home I got under my trusty loupe and found a very thin slice mark at 12 o clock, and runs through the sword. Totally unnoticeable without loupe, then bang it's there under the loupe. I'm not too worried about it, but it does spoil it for me. It's the paint that is damaged, not the lume. I'll get a photo up later. Is there a way to have this repaired?

Regards
David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I think folk will need to photos but due to the finish on these dials I think you will have trouble. Possibly folk have restored dials using air brushes as I do with clock dials but those are a lot larger and easier to work with. Possibly your three options are

1. live with it as it was a bargain.
2. After market dial - Some good ones available
3. Find a donor watch.

If you don't have any luck I'll have a practice with my airbrush and see what results I can get on touch up's with dials. I have a scrap dial I can practice with. As your only down the M25 and not far from me it might be another option? I don't mind helping out but I really need a similar dial to practice with to get the exact finish perfected.

Good luck,

Tony

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think folk will need to photos but due to the finish on these dials I think you will have trouble. Possibly folk have restored dials using air brushes as I do with clock dials but those are a lot larger and easier to work with. Possibly your three options are

1. live with it as it was a bargain.
2. After market dial - Some good ones available
3. Find a donor watch.

If you don't have any luck I'll have a practice with my airbrush and see what results I can get on touch up's with dials. I have a scrap dial I can practice with. As your only down the M25 and not far from me it might be another option? I don't mind helping out but I really need a similar dial to practice with to get the exact finish perfected.

Good luck,

Tony

When you say another dial, do you mean an original or just an aftermarket one? I think I have an AM one at home, which you could practice on but they just don't meet the standard in my eyes, and shall never live in one of my watches.
I'll try not to look at it under a loupe in future, but now it's playing on my mind!!

Regards
David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
30,718 Posts
When you say another dial, do you mean an original or just an aftermarket one? I think I have an AM one at home, which you could practice on but they just don't meet the standard in my eyes, and shall never live in one of my watches.
I'll try not to look at it under a loupe in future, but now it's playing on my mind!!

Regards
David

I agree :)

This WIS thing is a illness i tell you :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This morning, I thought no problem, little slice on the dial, not noticeable. Now it's turning in to a complete wreck of a dial, that needs serious attention. I'd have it sorted then re-lumed, but the patina is amazing, and this scratch is ruining everything!!! It's got to be something, last year I couldn't care less for a watch, G-Shock everyday. Now I have one for every mood :)

Regards
David

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dial. All the best getting it worked out.
I have learned to love wabi, sometimes in life wabi can be a small thing. Don't get me wrong I know how you feel. You just have to weigh it out and treat it the best you can, it is not cancer.

Mark

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
This morning, I thought no problem, little slice on the dial, not noticeable. Now it's turning in to a complete wreck of a dial, that needs serious attention. I'd have it sorted then re-lumed, but the patina is amazing, and this scratch is ruining everything!!! It's got to be something, last year I couldn't care less for a watch, G-Shock everyday. Now I have one for every mood :)

Regards
David

Hey you sneaking peeks at my diary! I've worn the same Casio G-Shock since 1992 and now I have 22 Seiko's of various flavours since about Jan this year!

As I said I might be able to hide the scratch with my airbrush but I'd need to see a good close up photo of it first.

Tone

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dial. All the best getting it worked out.
I have learned to love wabi, sometimes in life wabi can be a small thing. Don't get me wrong I know how you feel. You just have to weigh it out and treat it the best you can, it is not cancer.

Mark
I have to agree, unless the rest of the watch is absolutley spotless then it's just part of it, it's minimum 25 years old and inevitably will carry some age...Embrace the wabi! :grin:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My G Shock isn't that old, but it's had some fun, in '92 I couldn't even tell the time :) . Waiting for the train, so shall have a photo up soon. The rest of the dial is immaculate so I'm wondering how it happened, not stripped it down yet to have a look in more detail. The crystal is brand spanking new, so my suspicions lie there at the moment. Sad to think it was that.

Regards
David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, we've all got to get old. I'm jealous of TheTigerUK, I feel like I need retirement now haha. Here are the pics as promised!

First photo is normal, second is under 20x loupe, now I feel like I'm being pedantic, looking at it.

Regards
David

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hate to break it to you, but it's a scratch that goes through the dial text too, that probably would get to me as well... Shame, it's a lovely aged dial and matching hand set... Absolutely nothing you can do except try to live with it or sell it, a repair will never look right I'm afraid...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well that hasn't cheered me up much. I'm planning on living with that scratch and having this watch as a vintage beater. On a different note does the an original 6309 7290 dial have a beveled day date window or straight? Sorry to start a thread within a thread.

Regards
David

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Jason. It already has, Lewie, I missed that scratch! Loupe in the pocket for me now. Thank you for all the input, even the funnies, it has cheered me up.

Regards
David

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Well, we've all got to get old. I'm jealous of TheTigerUK, I feel like I need retirement now haha. Here are the pics as promised!

We do all have to get old correct but it still sucks monkey balls!

Hmmm that will be a very hard repair as it's gone through some of the text and it's deep. Also because the dial has some age to it that will be hard to match on such a small dial. I honestly do not think you would be happy with a repair to the dial. That said it's not terrible and still looks a real nice watch in very wearable condition! I'd say keep your eye out for another watch of the same model with a good dial that has other issues like a dented and scratched case and crystal and missing it's strap and then have the dial swapped over :) At the end of the day these watches are not like my antique clocks I restore and they will all lend parts to others of the same or similar models. Check out the blue dial dive watch that Mr TigerUK dude put together through he's spares draw the other week. It's superb!

Sorry that's probably not what you wanted to hear but I think it's the best advice I can give you as a fellow fussy git.

Cheers,

Tone

1 - 20 of 27 Posts