The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all!

OK, I'm watching this one at the UK site of a certain well known 'auction site' -XXXXXXXXXXXXXX - Seiko 6309-729A Automatic 150 Metre Divers Watch - and while the pepsi dial isn't usually my sort of thing, this one does kind of hold a certain attraction in that it's my birth year, and only a few months younger than me! 7D0410 - December 1977...

Seller advises it's had a 'complete restoration' with 'new dial, hands and bezel ring' so it's not entirely original, but then again it is as old as me! What confuses me though is the case model stated is 729A. As far as I know, the 6309 was originally released with a case model of 7040 and 7049, and it wasn't until 1982 I think that the slimmer version of the 729x was produced - which of course doesn't tie in with the apparent production date.

Having read through the Seiko Divers Reference and some of the guides written up by Isthmus (in short, brilliant), I'm just a little sketchy about this one. Any thoughts? I had contemplated using this on as a base perhaps for my planned mod, unless that would be considered sacrilege!

cheers, H

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quick apology - I shouldn't have made to reference to the site... hope all can be forgiven in due course! :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sorry to tell you that this 729 is from 12/87 as said.
If you want a 6309 as same as your age, you'll have to find a 704x, from the first year of production.

The good news is it can be done ;D
and the bad news (for me) is that i need a 6mas, from '67. not fair :'(

Good luck!

·
Administrator
30,117 Posts
Galpo said:
Sorry to tell you that this 729 is from 12/87 as said.
If you want a 6309 as same as your age, you'll have to find a 704x, from the first year of production.

The good news is it can be done ;D
and the bad news (for me) is that i need a 6mas, from '67. not fair :'(

Good luck!
You think thats bad ? what about 1949 !!! :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, shame on the one hand but perhaps then again on the other I might feel less guilty about wrecking 'modding' it!

The back I suspect then is not original..

(Hope the posting of the pic is OK..)

edit: Out of interest, what serial number are you using to generate Dec 1987? Assuming that your running it through the Seiko Production Date Calc facility?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
howie77 said:
Hmm, shame on the one hand but perhaps then again on the other I might feel less guilty about wrecking 'modding' it!

The back I suspect then is not original..

(Hope the posting of the pic is OK..)

edit: Out of interest, what serial number are you using to generate Dec 1987? Assuming that your running it through the Seiko Production Date Calc facility?
[/quote]

The 6309-729A is the model with the red & blue rotating ring, so that is the correct case back for that watch. The production date is December 1987, not 1977.

Best,
Myles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts