The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6309 where the crown will screw down to a point, and then pop open again.
I am guessing that some, if not most of the threads are bad.
I have searched posts, and tried to get a good look at both the crown threads (impossible) and the threads on the case.
The case looks ok, nothing obviously damaged

I am wondering if there are enough people to have had this problem to conclude that a new (or aftermarket) crown will solve this problem?
Are the threads in the crown apt to get damaged?

A second question, is there a good source of replacement crowns?
They are avalalible from the usual auction sites, from the island nation that is not Japan. But will these only be a temporary fix?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
well hello..well it sounds like you must have thread problems...but without pics..it is very hard to tell you if it is the crown or case tube...hopefully it is just the crown as that would me much easier to fix...if it is the case tube...you will need to do something different...i would not keep trying to reinstall it either ....you might damage it further...please show some pics...we are glad to help in any way we can

·
Administrator
33,293 Posts
Hi, most times the threads wear out in the crown before the case (not always though) so a good chance a new crown will sort it.

I have heard that the after market crowns are not too bad but I have never used them myself.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
you will need to also take off the caseback and take you the stem to know what is wrong...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I only have a camera phone so I don't think pictures will show anything
I have taken the case back off, removed the stem and peaked at the case threads with a low power loop, without seeing any damage to the case threads. Unable to see anything in the crown.

So replacing the crown has fixed the problem for others?
Any review on crowns from the auction site?
Edit here are some pictures

Here is a picture of the Philippeans eBAy watch with all it's faults

·
Administrator
33,293 Posts
I only have a camera phone so I don't think pictures will show anything
I have taken the case back off, removed the stem and peaked at the case threads with a low power loop, without seeing any damage to the case threads. Unable to see anything in the crown.

So replacing the crown has fixed the problem for others?
Any review on crowns from the auction site?
I keep one NOS/OEM crown in my spares box just to use for checking the threads on the case.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
well i would clean it very well before trying a new crown...you may just get away with a crown....looks not too bad...just very dirty
hey i think you have a 6319a movement in the one you are working on too

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
hey with a little work..any watch can be brought back..look at this one...it was nothing but faults..all you need is a good case...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
hey your phillipines watch replace the non original parts and a little work ..it will look amazing..

·
Administrator
33,293 Posts
IMO guys buy a "6309" or the likes from a HHC like the one above because they tend to be cheap (ish), now i suppose you can live with the rubbish you buy or attempt to make it respectable.

So you decide you want it half decent ? ok.

Now all you need is the time, your own time costs nothing and it is enjoyable spending it doing something you enjoy.

The next thing you need is the OEM parts or after market parts even, dial, hands, crown, movement (in this case), bezel insert, crystal and gaskets.

A little know how to put it together.

By the time you have done this and spent the money getting the parts you could have bought a VERY nice one to start with and had none of the fun associated with the likes of your buy :)

Just my thoughts but i could be 100% wrong so please forgive me if i offend at all.

·
Veteran Member
28,423 Posts
IMO guys buy a "6309" or the likes from a HHC like the one above because they tend to be cheap (ish), now i suppose you can live with the rubbish you buy or attempt to make it respectable.

So you decide you want it half decent ? ok.

Now all you need is the time, your own time costs nothing and it is enjoyable spending it doing something you enjoy.

The next thing you need is the OEM parts or after market parts even, dial, hands, crown, movement (in this case), bezel insert, crystal and gaskets.

A little know how to put it together.

By the time you have done this and spent the money getting the parts you could have bought a VERY nice one to start with and had none of the fun associated with the likes of your buy :)

Just my thoughts but i could be 100% wrong so please forgive me if i offend at all.
Never Said Better ....:cool:

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Well Tiger you are correct....i was very blessed when i put mine together but it would have much cheaper to find a very nice example...we all have to learn the hard way i guess...i think that we all think it is so easy in the beginning to find this stuff or dont know any better...i still remember my first overseas watch...it was all after market parts...it seems hard to not see it now..but then...it was all about price...quality over price any day now...

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Hey also this...when you decide to buy a watches like we all love..one thing if nothing i have learned is to ask questions before you buy...and this forum is such a incredible place with some of the kindest and most generous people i have ever met...if nothing else people should so is ask for opinions before they buy...this forum and my few friends i have here...have kept me from many a foolish decision...thank God for them and all of you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts