The Watch Site banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got one of the philli 7040's and the case looks bad with round edges so my question is how the heck do i go about getting them sharp again ? i use wet/dry sanding paper for my work on cases but i never tried getting edges shapend ! Is the trick some good masking and the a flat surface to wrap the sandingpaper around ?

Svand

·
Registered
134 Posts
I use a small steel file if needed to keep the transition area sharp and flat before finishing with progressively finer grades of sandpaper; this might help bring the edges back.
Sometimes though, once the edge has been polished out it's tough to get it back without removing too much material.
I'm an amateur at this, so perhaps someone who professionally refinishes cases will have a better solution.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Unfortunately, the key here is to not knock down the details when refinishing a case.

Too many fellows use the wrong equipment and wind up wiping out the crisp edges. Once this is done it is next to impossible to bring them back without changing the proportions of the case.

With the 6309-7040/7049 cases one must work from the bottom up, working to the edge but not over it. With care, any dings or dents can be removed and the edge maintained from smoothing through polishing. The last step is to re-apply the heavy satin finish to the top surface.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts