The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to vintage seikos. I'm particularly interested in the 6309s and have acquired several over the last few months. I'm mainly interested in completely original examples and am trying to learn what's original and what's not. I have two bezels here that are clearly different,not the inserts as I believe they are both original but the bezels themselves? You can clearly see that the top profile of one is a lot thinner around the edge and the "nobbles" around the edge smaller, I thought that the thinner one had been over polished over the years but the more I look at it the more I think they were original different. If you look at the line between the "nobbles" on the one that looks worn its a continuos cut line but on the other one it's not? Any advice/info welcome...thanks in advance Matt image.jpg

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
The bezel one on the right appears to have been polished or extensively worn as the shape of the knurling is no longer pyramid shaped.

I have noticed the same on the many 6309s I have owned over the years.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The bezel one on the right appears to have been polished or extensively worn as the shape of the knurling is no longer pyramid shaped.

I have noticed the same on the many 6309s I have owned over the years.
Really? I thought they came in that general shape. I am sure they get worn down a little bit, but I don't think that is the difference you are seeing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I see what you mean by the knurling being worn/polished which is what I first thought but what puzzles me is that the cut line between the two rows of knurling on the "worn" one is continuos whereas on the other one the line isn't? Maybe there were two types?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I thought that the bezel with the squared off peaks and continuous groove around the middle was the AM copy? :confused: (I hope I'm wrong though as that is what is fitted on my Philippines 6309-729A):grin:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I thought that the bezel with the squared off peaks and continuous groove around the middle was the AM copy? :confused: (I hope I'm wrong though as that is what is fitted on my Philippines 6309-729A):grin:
No - your right I think I'm wrong:cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a picture of three stacked up which shows the profile better, in my opinion the top two are more likely to be genuine? The top one is the slimmed down 6309 image.jpg

·
Registered
808 Posts
There have been several threads about this both here and on the old SCWF.

I'm pretty sure that it has been shown the two different bezels were OEM at some point during manufacturing of the watches.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
There is a difference in the "cut line" between originals and aftermarket and also between 6309 & 7002's.

·
Special Member
27,990 Posts
Here is a close up of a 7049

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all, a little undecided ? The close up shoes a defining continual cut line though. I've been looking at lots of pics on line and see many of both types just hard to tell with these seikos what's original or aftermarket?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts