The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After having several 6309's over the years (quite a few with aftermarket dials) due to my lack of knowledge my last one had the aftermarket non-beveled day/date window.........:eek:hmy:

My latest looks to be all original
Question:

My bezel is bi-directional with no distinct ball click but somewhat tight movement (I'm assuming this action if correct is based on diving time so not to miscalulate or move.

:) 6309 experts: Is this correct? If not, then a new ball and spring might be in order to return it to a "click" bi-directional

Attachments

·
2,237 Posts
As John hints........it needs to rotate fairly easily and 'click'.

Any tightness is not part of the design for diving purposes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Not an expert, but from experience - a few things to consider:

1) If the crystal retainer has been replaced with an aftermarket replacement sometimes the tolerances are sometimes slightly different. ie making rotation different from an oem retainer.

2) Sometimes bezel gaskets can be finicky and need proper lube.

3) The bezel assembly itself can become "bent" or "warped" slightly if removed improperly.

4) Missing click ball and or spring missing.

5) Aftermarket crystal or crystal gasket changing tolerances.

Or alternatively a combination of a few of the above. Good luck with it. Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Quite right. Seiko divers bezels should only rotate in the counter clockwise direction with a click for each minute and be slightly stiff but movable with just your thumb and forefinger. It is for safety purposes. The diver will rotate the arrow to point to the time that they must start to ascend. If the bezel could rotate clockwise a diver could accidentally add more time to the dive that he/she does not have the air for. If they accidentally bump the dial and rotate it counter clockwise the only side effect would be surfacing earlier that actually needed. If you do not use it for diving the one way spring is not absolutely necessary but it is always nice to have a watch that is 100% functional.

I also highly recommend the Seiko brand silicone lube for the bezel rubber seal. this is often the cause of a very tight dial along with the crude that collects in their.

Michael

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gentlemen Just checked

Popped bezel off, ball click is there but some white lithium grease/lube, looks like has caused it to miss the "click" due to excess lube any ideas on what to use for removal of this lithium grease?

Thanks Guys ! :)

Where can I get that Seiko bezel grease? i.e. part number

John

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Quite right. Seiko divers bezels should only rotate in the counter clockwise direction with a click for each minute and be slightly stiff but movable with just your thumb and forefinger. It is for safety purposes. The diver will rotate the arrow to point to the time that they must start to ascend. If the bezel could rotate clockwise a diver could accidentally add more time to the dive that he/she does not have the air for. If they accidentally bump the dial and rotate it counter clockwise the only side effect would be surfacing earlier that actually needed. If you do not use it for diving the one way spring is not absolutely necessary but it is always nice to have a watch that is 100% functional.

I also highly recommend the Seiko brand silicone lube for the bezel rubber seal. this is often the cause of a very tight dial along with the crude that collects in their.

Michael
6309 divers are bi- directional. ( what you say is correct, but didn't take effect till later)

Rob

·
Registered
500 Posts
Lowe's has silicone grease in the plumbing section. $4 for a container that will last a very long time.

Popped bezel off, ball click is there but some white lithium grease/lube, looks like has caused it to miss the "click" due to excess lube any ideas on what to use for removal of this lithium grease?

Thanks Guys ! :)

Where can I get that Seiko bezel grease? i.e. part number

John

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got my 6309 click ball unstuck by wiping everything clean, applying the amount of lighter fluid that sticks to a sewing pin (sometimes it takes a few dips to get enough to wet the ball), and then tapping the pin into the click ball with the back of a spoon. repeat, repeat, repeat until it loosens. then add a few more dips of fluid and keep working the click ball up and down to scrap away rust.

CAVEAT, lighter fluid (or any other petroleum product) is very bad for your gaskets, but I'm not putting the time/effort into replacing the gaskets on this one, so I don't care! Just biding my time until a 7040 case comes my way.....If I was doing a full restore, I would have soaked the bare case in lighter fluid, WD40, PB Blaster, etc.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
I got my 6309 click ball unstuck by wiping everything clean, applying the amount of lighter fluid that sticks to a sewing pin (sometimes it takes a few dips to get enough to wet the ball), and then tapping the pin into the click ball with the back of a spoon. repeat, repeat, repeat until it loosens. then add a few more dips of fluid and keep working the click ball up and down to scrap away rust.

CAVEAT, lighter fluid (or any other petroleum product) is very bad for your gaskets, but I'm not putting the time/effort into replacing the gaskets on this one, so I don't care! Just biding my time until a 7040 case comes my way.....If I was doing a full restore, I would have soaked the bare case in lighter fluid, WD40, PB Blaster, etc.
IMO there is very little time or effort or cost involved in changing all the gaskets ?

I doubt has already said there is much difference between the greases but Seiko is Seiko so...........:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
IMO there is very little time or effort or cost involved in changing all the gaskets ?

I doubt has already said there is much difference between the greases but Seiko is Seiko so...........:)

Well, if I'm going to put new gaskets in it (which I have on hand) I might as well change the crystal, and if I'm going to do that I might as well source a new chapter ring and bezel insert, and if I'm going to do that I might as well buy the hands, dial, and bracelet that I want at the same time, but I don't want to do all that to have a 7290 with all the stuff that I want on a 704x :)

So....a simple gasket change can snowball into a lot!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
YIKES ! my ball click fell out !

Not a serious issue but while cleaning and being stupid:eek:hmy: for not using a while cloth/small towel under the watch the click ball came out when I was using a toothbrush to clean the excess lithium grease off on the watch.

Do these just sit in that little hole?

or is their a tiny spring to retain tension on them? Now to trying to replacing it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts