The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now up and running after non show of a donor 6309 and the hassle of getting refunded. New donor arrived yesterday, so taking the advice of many I did a straight exchange of the movement. The original one was in a bad way even after cleaning. Before I swapped out he movement I put the donor on the TG and it came up surprising well. So rather than strip and clean it I switched them over straight away.
Very happy with the end result, Dial, hands,untouched. Case,crystal and strap cleaned otherwise in the as found condition. Date and day wheels are original too. I had to make a movement holder ring out of the donor dial spacer .Plus the old ballpoint pen hack for the bezel click ball. Strap has a tear between a couple of holes, fortunately not were my wrist fits them so all good to wear.
The watch surprisingly is really easy on the eye and the hands and indices really standout. Making it very easy to read.
This is as far as I'm going with the watch and will be leaving it in its one off unique condition.
Couple of before and donor pic last.
All up 6309 and donor change out of $300aud. Thanks also to Dan aka IMeasure for donating the seals and his advice among others
As always thanks for looking . Tony.

20200728_134300.jpg
20200728_134043.jpg
20200728_134622-1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Good stuff Tony.

Not sure if it is the light but it looks blue with black lume. Very nice.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's great ;-)
I'm impressed with the dial / hands - they look pretty cool and the cost is very low.
Thanks ,yes the price is right as they say. Looks smick on the wrist.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good stuff Tony.

Thanks Kwan, its the strong winter light here in Brisbane. It really lights up the dial. Also i get interesting images of dials in the strong light. My pepsi 7548 has a blue dial ,but when seen in ordinary light you wouldn't pick it. Good light makes it pop.

20200429_085026.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Good stuff Tony.

and it really shows up here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I love this as I think the 6309-7040/9 (or immediate mates) are the only true "turtles," they feel right and wear better than any diver I have found.

My -7040 has a fake dial on it now, so I admire originality. I do admit I wear daily an SRP777 and let the ur-turtle rest most of the time, though...

For replacement movements, I do have stashed a very nicely working 7546 (gasp - "quartz"); they will drop-in if the dire need ever arises. Consider grabbing one while you can. (sorry to be a pessimist!).

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love this as I think the 6309-7040/9 (or immediate mates) are the only true "turtles," they feel right and wear better than any diver I have found.

My -7040 has a fake dial on it now, so I admire originality. I do admit I wear daily an SRP777 and let the ur-turtle rest most of the time, though...

For replacement movements, I do have stashed a very nicely working 7546 (gasp - "quartz"); they will drop-in if the dire need ever arises. Consider grabbing one while you can. (sorry to be a pessimist!).
Thanks, not worry on the replacement side of things. Have a 7546 waiting in the wings if need be . Also backup for my 7548s.Plus a 7C43

20200429_085157_compress72.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts