The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This watch was a mess when I bought it, but I found it impossible to pass on an all original birth year 6309. Crooked chapter ring, filthy inside of crystal, and worst of all a polished case front!

I sent it to Rich at the watch spot for a sympathetic refurb - bare minimum with no ding removal, relume or aftermarket parts - just a clean, case front brush, movement and gasket check. He did an excellent job and I now have a watch that certainly shows it's age (a little worse than its owner I might even say!) but has gone from looking unloved to well-loved.

Of course, as luck would have it, an all original from my birth year in much better condition came up with this was at the spa - it's in the air as I write this!

At this point am considering selling the couple of non birth year 6309s I have and consolidating to birth year only but a) that is maybe too OCD even by WIS standards and b) it would mean giving up properly bevelled date windows...

T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
well it looks great all original....best way to have them..

·
Special Member
4,551 Posts
well it looks great all original....best way to have them..
:iagree: and regarding the couple of non birth year 6309 I would say it depends on their condition. I would keep at least one in very good condition, just because they don't grow on trees anymore ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, one of the two is my best condition 6309 it's true - never polished, lume still glows etc. maybe had better hang on to that one lest I later have an attack of the regrets!

Of course, the downside to the above watch is that due to all the above it's the only one I never wear :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Definitely have more than one, this is my third birth year 6309(!) Still chasing birth month but I think I have plenty to be happy with in the mean time...

And yes, agree with you guys on originality. I actually have a better condition bezel insert but in this instance I wouldn't even replace it with NOS. The only wear on this I don't actively find aesthetically pleasing is the blackening on the hands, but I can live with it over a modern relume...

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Great looking 7040

Hey ........... " Regret ", comes aground when we don't expect it
so you have better keep even a couple for now. They don't show
up in to much of a cheap yet original shape to much.:72:
I'm still looking for a ( N ).... November case back for one of mine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
leather band a pleasant surprise indeed

The leather looks really good actually. Typically not a fan of leather on a diver.
My first choice is rubber and for diving a good NATO band or a velcro-NATO band as being the most secure --I've had my rubber band snap off on me 'just like that' without any warning a couple of times, and don't want that to happen while diving over a multi-hundred feet drop-off to see my precious Seiko fall away into the deep blue...

All this being said, your leather band really looks good : can you indicate what it is / where you bought it?

PS> as for original vs relume, etc., if one wants a brand new looking watch then why bother buying vintage in the first place? Granted, it's nice to be able to read time in the middle of the night, but I find even badly faded hands are cool as long as the original lume doesn't look like it suffered frpm some kind of nasty skin disease :p

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leather with a diver sort of seems to defeat the point of all that water resistance I know! But ever since I first saw a seiko diver on a Hirsch Liberty strap I've been hooked on that particular style, and maybe it's best to wear the fact that I'm not an actual diver on my sleeve, as it were(!)

The one pictured is actually by Darlena, which is similar in style to a Hirsch Liberty but is more keenly priced in the UK.

The Hirsch Liberty is actually waterproof, btw, so it's not all that inappropriate!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts