The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Trawling Gumtree a few weeks ago I came across a listing for a bunch of watches for parts. The pics were terrible but I spotted what could potentially be the outline of a Seiko diver. I shot a message off to the seller and he confirmed the presence of a 6309 729B caseback. Hmm, that could have potential me thinks. Unfortunately he flat out refused to take online payment and post to me. I let it stew for the weekend then came back to offer to send him cash and a self-addressed prepaid satchel and my own bubble wrap. I don't think he could believe I would go to the trouble, but agreed. The parcel finally arrived today. Everything else is junk - but maybe I can move those 7005A movements on to defray my cost? Probably not.

Here is the best pic he could send me:

So the news is both better and worse than I expected.

The dial is original, but the posts are gone. It's a bit grubby, but there is no lume rot. Water and Resist both in blue.

The case is ok, but grubby. No repolishing. Crown, crystal retainer and bezel missing, but the click ball remains. Crystal is heavily scratched and the chapter ring has lost a little paint at the edges in a couple of spots.

The caseback is indeed marked 6309 729B, and dated May 1982.

The movement is missing the plastic dial holder and movement ring, but the balance swings after a little hand winding of the rotor.

Most importantly, there are no gold hands :-(

So, what to do with it? It pretty much needs a whole donor watch in order to replace the missing bits and pieces, but 729Bs appear so rare as to possibly warrant the cost and effort.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to clean the dial? I've had my watchmaker clean a greasy dial in his ultrasonic before, would this type of dial respond well, or is there a better method I can use at home?

I've searched high and low and there doesn't seem to be a source of genuine or aftermarket gold 6309-style hands. Does anyone have any thoughts there? I don't think there are any AM gold bezel inserts going around either.

I have my eye on a possibly non-running 7548-700x that might provide many of the missing bits and pieces perhaps. Are the bezel, crystal retaining ring and crown transferrable?

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Chronograph.com sells the SKX011 bezels and handset too I think...not cheaply, but it may help
You can pop the gold numbered insert out be the complete bezel from an SKX series will not fit a 6309 case.

I know way back in the day people would ditch the gold number inserts for the silver number inserts so there may be someone out there who still has a gold insert stashed away somewhere if you post a WTB ad.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can pop the gold numbered insert out be the complete bezel from an SKX series will not fit a 6309 case.

I know way back in the day people would ditch the gold number inserts for the silver number inserts so there may be someone out there who still has a gold insert stashed away somewhere if you post a WTB ad.
Thanks, the fact that the skx bezels won't fit a 6309 is useful info. There was a Canadian seller selling complete skx011 kits - inserts, hands, chapter ring, crystal and dials a little while ago at a reasonable cost. Hopefully they still have some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts