The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently bid for and acquired a Seiko 6309-729A via eBay at a very good (cheap actually) price. The watch serial no. indicates that it was made In February ’85 and not uncommonly, the dial, hands and bezel insert are all aftermarket, but it has been regularly serviced (according to the seller) and runs well so I’m happy. Well, almost …

The bezel insert in ‘wrong’, y’know, one of those with the serif 10 and not the correct l0; so I need to get it changed as it really is irritating me; and here’s my dilemma.

I was under the impression that the 729As were manufactured with a ‘Pepsi’ bezel insert, as many sources, including the invaluable Kevin Chan’s Seiko Divers Reference indicates, but I notice that pix for this model in the Forum’s Time Universe Japanese Watch Photo Database photo gallery includes examples with black inserts (in fact, the top right photo is an example of a ‘wrong’ insert like mine!)

So can you guys shed some light on the situation - Should I Pepsi or not? My inclination is towards the bi-colour insert, but I would like to maintain some elements of accuracy here, and would value the benefit of your knowledge.

Thanks.

Howard.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If it's just a bezel then why not have both...?

When you fancy a change in the look of your watch, swap the bezels over!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
If it's just a bezel then why not have both...?

When you fancy a change in the look of your watch, swap the bezels over!
I thought about this with my 729A (also fitted with the 'incorrect' all black wrong font bezel), till I saw the price of replacement bezels. :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK - So I've made a decision - i've purchased a 'Pepsi' insert on eBay from 'authenticwatchden' (100% positive feedback) in The Philipines - £5.11 Free p&p Bargain!
Its a modern example, so no big lume pip, but I'm OK with that. It'll give my 6309 its sense of authenticity back.

Cheers H

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
OK - So I've made a decision - i've purchased a 'Pepsi' insert on eBay from 'authenticwatchden' (100% positive feedback) in The Philipines - £5.11 Free p&p Bargain!
Its a modern example, so no big lume pip, but I'm OK with that. It'll give my 6309 its sense of authenticity back.

Cheers H
Must admit I'm toying with the same idea. Now I've replaced the Z22 band with a heavy shark mesh strap I think the Pepsi bezel insert might look better and of course 'correct' for a 729A. How easy is it to remove the existing bezel insert without damaging it? (just in case I prefer the original appearance and want to put the black insert back):confused:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Well I also bit the bullet (though my insert from another supplier (Time_wise) in the Philippines only cost me £3.81 inc p&p ;) ). Managed to easily remove the 'original' black insert without damaging it and the Pepsi one just firmly clipped in with no need for any adhesive, must admit, with the Shark Mesh bracelet, it really looks the dog's danglies now. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts