The Watch Site banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let's get it out there immediately: to each his own, there's no right or wrong here. But how about a friendly conversation about the relative merits of these two? My sense is that convention wisdom is on 6309-- it has the attenuated Hollywood pedigree, the non-budget movement, the stronger lume, etc. But let me make the case for the 7002. Date only is a huge plus: less busy, more symmetry with 9 o'clock, more credit to the wearer's faculties. And the weak lume is a plus, too. These are both handsome, iconic watches-- for sure rugged rather than dress, but I don't want to be mistaken for the Green Lantern once it gets dark. I choose the 7002. Curious to hear others' thoughts!

·
Special Member
617 Posts
I would prefer the -7290 because the crown is more robust and a better design, the crystal retaining system is top-notch and the movement spacer is metal as opposed to nylon on the 7002 which doesn't age well. I prefer the 7002 date only feature though!

·
Special Member
1,528 Posts
I think the 7002 is undervalued today by comparison to the more desirable 6309-7290, consequently I think the 7002 can be a good buy today plus they can still be found in nice shape. Post some pics when you can :)

·
Special Member
5,678 Posts
One characteristic of the 7002 that doesn’t get mentioned enough is the depth of dial, it creates a very different (smoky at times) view of dial specially at angles. The 6309 slim’s dial like the 7548’s are closer to the crystal, it’s a very distinct and different aesthetic of the 7002’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting point about the depth of the dial. I definitely like the depth of my 7002 with its steeply angled chapter ring. I would have thought the depth would be equivalent between the 6309 slim and the 7002 given the same 13mm spec, but you learn something every day I guess! I'd like to see them side-by side at some point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So let's get it out there immediately: to each his own, there's no right or wrong here. But how about a friendly conversation about the relative merits of these two? My sense is that convention wisdom is on 6309-- it has the attenuated Hollywood pedigree, the non-budget movement, the stronger lume, etc. But let me make the case for the 7002. Date only is a huge plus: less busy, more symmetry with 9 o'clock, more credit to the wearer's faculties. And the weak lume is a plus, too. These are both handsome, iconic watches-- for sure rugged rather than dress, but I don't want to be mistaken for the Green Lantern once it gets dark. I choose the 7002. Curious to hear others' thoughts!
I'm new to the site and own a 7002 but have always liked the classic cushion shape of the 6309 better. I'm a little scared off by the case tube problems I've read about elsewhere...

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am also a fan fo the 7002. I have both and find I wear the 7002-700J more than the 6309. I had been looking for a Japan version and came across this one. About 5 years ago, I paid $100, which at the time was top dollar but good examples are quite rare. I'm happy I bought the watch when I did.
Watch Analog watch White Clock Watch accessory

Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Reflex camera Lens

1 - 7 of 7 Posts