The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know Iost my son a little more than 4 months ago. He died in a car accident on June 30th. I had posted a WTB for his BMBY caseback for the 7290 I built for him. I happened to come across an all original but rather WABI 7290 that is his BMBY, January 1988. I decided to restore this in remembrance of him instead. It needed quite a bit of work. The hands had corrosion and needed a clean up and relume, the bezel insert was way beyond touching up and the lume had dragged around the dial causing damage. I serviced the movement, cleaned and relumed the hands, replaced the bezel insert, modified a 2.5mm flat crystal to match the Seiko OEM chamfer, and airbrushed the center of the dial to fix the marred part.

Tapped off the text and markers and lightly sanded with 4000 grit

Color airbrushed and feathered into the outside of the ring marks

Matte clear coat applied

Hands cleaned up and ready for lume

Dial and hands installed

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Continued.......
Original crystal on the left. You can see quite a difference in the chamfer edge.

Using plastic caseback disks the crystal is glued on and taped,, then attached to a drill. Using a cut off disk for a Dremel to grind the chamfer to match the Seiko OEM edge. Some diamond paste on a piece of cloth around a popsicle stick polishes the new edge just a bit.

Again, the original is on the left and the new crystal now has a matching chamfer

Assembled with a replacement bezel insert

Added a Z22 strap

·
Special Member
11,120 Posts
very nice step-by-step work Jerry - thanks for sharing !

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Special Member
6,530 Posts
Truly a labor of love. What a fantastic project you undertook and I wish you well wearing that wonderful remembrance peice.

·
Craftsman
1,494 Posts
My goodness Jerry. So sorry for your loss during these devastatingly trying times. I cannot comprehend the grief you must have gone through.

You are an amazing man with the watch restorations. Simple beautiful work and amazing out of the box solutions to bring this one back. Stay safe and well my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Craftsman
3,722 Posts
Beautiful work Jerry! Sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure those were some very special hours working on your sons watch!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
My sincere condolences Jerry.

Great work on the 6309 divers watch and you have inspired me with the crystal chamfering technique. I have a few crystals that need this doing and now I see the way forward...thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry to hear about your son, wear it proudly (job well done) and I hope you think of him every time you look at it.

God Bless.

JR

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
This is terribly sad news re your son's death.
All the best to you, your family and his friends etc.

It's so nice you can have this watch in memory of him ;-)

Good technique on glass refinishing too.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Well my friend
I am so thankful you were able to find that case back as I know it was not easy to find
Truly thank you for sharing this with us
Stay safe out there
God Bless you
John
I am so truly sorry for your loss

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
No words will comfort this kind of loss. I will say you did an outstanding job paying respects. Just amazing and well done!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Hi Jerry,

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your son. My hope is that this time piece will keep the many fond memories of him etched in your mind going forward.
Take care my friend,
Michael

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I’m so sorry for your loss.
The work you have done in that watch, especially the dial and crystal, is outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I’m so sorry for your terrible loss. I can’t imagine what that was like. But, you have created a wonderful reminder of him.

God’s comfort to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts