The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Seiko 6309-7290. I'm pretty sure that it is not all original ... from looking at the divers reference. Just wanted some other opinions on the dial, hands, and bezel insert. I will note, that the lume on the hands and bezel insert dot are much brighter than the dial. It's a nice watch none the less. Thanks!

Pics:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Hi Adam - the 7290 is the only diver I've owned, although I have since sold it - I tried to like this type of diver.... ;) Anyways, from what I recall when I researched mine, I think the dial on yours is aftermarket - I'm pretty sure that the original dials had more pointed ends to the twin 12 o'clock markers, as here:

The lume on the hour markers doesn't look too well centered on yours either which again suggests aftermarket. I'm sure others who are more familiar with these will chime in with other opinions.

Cheers,
Sweephand

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. Yeah that's what I'm thinking too, although I'm not sure about the hands, since they do show some aging/wear. The overall lume is horrible. Think it's worth the $ to have a complete relume done?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
AdamITR said:
Thanks for the responses. Yeah that's what I'm thinking too, although I'm not sure about the hands, since they do show some aging/wear. The overall lume is horrible. Think it's worth the $ to have a complete relume done?
I think with an aftermarket dial like this, I would try luming it myself before I sent it out to be professinally done.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
As mentioned by our friends here, dial, hands and insert are aftermarket. Crystal is probably original and polished. The crystal gasket has been replaced, most probably with an aftermarket one. Bezel is from a 7002. Nonetheless, it is still a nice vintage diver with reliable movement. And the most important thing is you like it. ;)

Regards,
Indera

·
Registered
688 Posts
Before you do that, you may want to try to find a NOS service dial. The last ones made, marked Singapore, still glow (not hot, like new Seiko dials, but they are readable through the night). I've bought two from Jules Borel, but don't know whether they are still available. You may also want to call Otto Frei in Oakland.

Paul

AdamITR said:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information ... I'll try contacting those companies first ... also, what makes the hands look like replacements?

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
AdamITR said:
Thanks for the information ... I'll try contacting those companies first ... also, what makes the hands look like replacements?
One indicator is the short point on the sweep hand. Hands are usually replaced in sets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts